Hey guys, I've gone through alot of reading on this topic, but can't quite seem to put together a solid answer.

I'm using a blackberry storm 1 (9530 model) and am currently a Bell customer with it on the CDMA network. I know the phone is GSM capable, Bell even confirmed it, however refused to give me the unlock code, claiming that "While we do provide those codes, your phone is not unlockable."

My questions are...

1. Is this phone unlockable? I think so, but I'd like confirmation.
    2. If I unlock it, and I wish to still use the bell network while I'm in canada (still on the plan I currently have) does the phone default to using the CDMA?
    3. All I want to do is use this with verizon while I'm in the states for a couple months, not permanently switch my carrier. Would unlocking it somehow permanently screw me over?
    01-25-12 10:56 AM
    This device is definitely unlockable as it is both dual cdma/gsm and supports a sim card.

If you type *#06# from the dialpad, you will get an imei #.

* You will need to have any sim inside the device.

2. You will be able use bell still as the cdma side is registered under bell.

3. You cannot use this with verizon as they are cdma as well. You will need to use it with At&T or Tmobile or simplemobile on 2G.

Hope that helps.
    01-25-12 11:34 AM
    Thanks for answering so quickly. So its just a matter of putting my Bell SIM back in and it will lock to the bell network? And while I'm in the states, do I have to disable my CDMA (1xEV) connection, or should it do it automatically?
    01-25-12 12:38 PM
    Once unlocked, all you will need to do is leave it on 1XEVDO in manage connections- mobile network options and when you're in the states, switch it to 2G/GSM when you place an american carrier sim.
    01-25-12 07:01 PM