So I called up to get international roaming turned on today so I can use the SIM card to get on GSM networks/
    They had me call from another phone to activeate it/unlock it?
    So I do but they didn't have me do anything he just asked for the number from my SIM card and said it will be active in 2-3 days?
    This doesn't at all sound like unlocking my phone and sounds like it's not going to work with SIM cards still.
    I thought I had to get a code from them and do something in my phone or am i missing something?
    thanks
    01-19-09 02:33 PM
    sounds like you got a manilla rep, call back and ask again.
    01-19-09 06:00 PM
    so in order to activate the use of a sim card in the phone it should need to be programed?
    01-20-09 12:31 PM
    I called again, telus says the phone is already unlocked and no programing is needed to be done. I said will I be able to buy a pre-paid sim card and put it in and it work and they said yes. I told them it does not work, they say I have to be outside north america for it to use GSM.
    If my phone is UNLOCKED like they say I should be able to put in a ROGERS SIMS card and it work shouldn't I???
    When I put a rogers card in it doesnt even detect it, it says insert sim card.
    My telus card just says rejected.

Im like this PHONE is not unlocked but they swear it is.
    I need help.
    01-22-09 04:58 PM
    I called again, telus says the phone is already unlocked and no programing is needed to be done. I said will I be able to buy a pre-paid sim card and put it in and it work and they said yes. I told them it does not work, they say I have to be outside north america for it to use GSM.
    If my phone is UNLOCKED like they say I should be able to put in a ROGERS SIMS card and it work shouldn't I???
    When I put a rogers card in it doesnt even detect it, it says insert sim card.
    My telus card just says rejected.

Im like this PHONE is not unlocked but they swear it is.
    I need help.
    read this thread:
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Blackberry Storm: Not Made for Females

here's quote from someone who works at telus:
    Positive , i have clarified info in black and white at work. You can use any foriegn carriers SIM abroad. The SIM incl with Telus lets you roam using your existing canadian number abroad with data capabilities in which case you are charged roaming charges. But they have blocked out from using ROGERS/FIDO'S Network here in Canada burnt into the phone to avoid them.
    As i said it work in Canada with a foriegn SIM just abroad with a foriegn carriers SIM in the STORM because its been programmed to OMIT ROGERS/FIDO HOME SID
    NO SIM ON THE STORM WILL WORK IN ANY CANADIAN GSM NETWORK WHILE PHYSICALLY IN CANADA, regardless if its foriegn or local.

It will just work while physically abroad with a foriegn carriers sim.
    01-23-09 07:04 AM
    If ELK666 is correct with this blocking out Rogers/Fido. can they still advertise this phone as a quad-band? i know there are telus branded storms working on the rogers network but the person who had that phone works for RIM.
    if i head over to the States for a weekend and i insert an ATT card it will read it no problem?
    01-23-09 08:23 AM
    so is there any advantage to unlocking my 9530 on telus if i do not plan on travelling abroad(out of canada?).
    10-24-10 06:47 PM
    So I called up to get international roaming turned on today so I can use the SIM card to get on GSM networks/
    They had me call from another phone to activeate it/unlock it?
    So I do but they didn't have me do anything he just asked for the number from my SIM card and said it will be active in 2-3 days?
    This doesn't at all sound like unlocking my phone and sounds like it's not going to work with SIM cards still.
    I thought I had to get a code from them and do something in my phone or am i missing something?
    thanks
    They activated global roaming. You need to call them back again or purchase one.
    10-24-10 09:03 PM
    Here is an image showing you if your phone is unlocked:

10-27-10 08:43 PM
    Here is an image showing you if your phone is unlocked:

So apart from my Network saying "Inactive" my phone is unlocked?

So whats the process when I head south to the US??? Stop and buy/insert a SIM card? Does it assign a local number to my phone?

Thanks... bit of a SIM noob.

B.
    11-20-10 10:30 PM
    Yes and Yes
    11-21-10 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD