I just got my tour unlocked and wrote this information down for you all.

These are the qualifications for unlocking the sim slot on any Verizon phone (From Verizon global customer service):
    1. You must be in good standing with your bill meaning your service hasn't been suspended in the last 6 months (It might have been 60 days but I know it was a certain amount of time).
    2. You must have been a Verizon customer for over 60 days
    3. You can only have one unlock every 10 months.

I qualified they gave me the code and my phone is now unlocked.

Verizon global customer support:
    800-711-8300
    07-25-09 02:49 PM
    I qualify, however how does it benefit somebody other than if one is outside the country???
    07-25-09 03:29 PM
    I'm pretty sure I qualify. It would be nice to have it unlocked but can we use it with other carriers or what's the deal with that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 03:33 PM
    If you have a sim from another carrier, then yes, you can use your Tour on another carrier.
    07-25-09 03:36 PM
    I really hope this information helps people get their phones unlocked or helps people know that it is an option. Yes this will allow you to insert another SIM in your phone and use it. You will need to set your network to GSM to do so though.
    07-25-09 03:43 PM
    I qualify, however how does it benefit somebody other than if one is outside the country???
    Not much, although you could theoretically go to AT&T or T-Mobile if you really wanted to. The biggest benefit (outside using local SIM cards internationally) is resale value, if you sell your old phones on eBay having an unlocked one brings in more money. It's even more money if you say its "100% no scam legit UNLCOKED!1!!!11"
    07-25-09 04:10 PM
    Thx for the update - I'll call them tomorrow and get it unlocked!!
    07-25-09 06:06 PM
    Anyone else done this yet?
    07-25-09 08:58 PM
    I would like someone to verify if unlocking removed the ESN changer from your my verizon account! please?
    07-25-09 09:00 PM
    What's the benefit if I don't plan on going out of the country and I have Verizon already?

07-25-09 09:18 PM
    And are there any downsides

07-25-09 09:19 PM
    And are there any downsides

If you pop in a SIM card from a US carrier you won't be able to get 3G speeds, the antenna only gets 3G frequencies in Europe (I believe).
    07-25-09 09:27 PM
    The upsides being if you decide to sell the phone you can get more money if it is unlocked. There are no downsides.
    07-25-09 09:29 PM
    still waiting for some convincing to unlock if im with verizon and staying and not going out of country.
    07-25-09 09:49 PM
    They dont' keep track of the every 10 month thing. I had my storm unlocked and about a month later I called to get tour unlocked.
    07-25-09 09:53 PM
    so this may be dumb..but so am i. Question for anyone that can help. I've got a storm thats been on a suspended verizon account. (not mine) but i want to use the phone on the verizon account i do have.. any possible way this works? How can verizon link a suspended account to this phone, and what would need to be done to make it not be seen as a phone on a suspended account anymore..if the phone was to be unlocked does that affect it in any way? what is used to link phones to accounts

any help would be awsome...if that made any sense at all.
    09-15-09 08:46 AM
    I just called up and got the unlock code for my tour in 5 mins flat. Very simple, I don't know why folk pay for these codes when you can get them for free.
    Last edited by k2jlx; 09-15-09 at 11:49 AM.
    09-15-09 11:46 AM
    still waiting for some convincing to unlock if im with verizon and staying and not going out of country.
    there is no reason.
    09-15-09 11:54 AM
    so this may be dumb..but so am i. Question for anyone that can help. I've got a storm thats been on a suspended verizon account. (not mine) but i want to use the phone on the verizon account i do have.. any possible way this works? How can verizon link a suspended account to this phone, and what would need to be done to make it not be seen as a phone on a suspended account anymore..if the phone was to be unlocked does that affect it in any way? what is used to link phones to accounts

any help would be awsome...if that made any sense at all.

ryannis,
    It's the ESN/MEID that is linking the phone to the suspended account. Depending on why the account is suspended, if it's a voluntary suspend just have the account owner change the esn to another VZW phone and you would be able to activate the Storm ESN on your account. If it's suspended for non pay the only way to remove that suspend is payment on the current account to allow it to be activated on another account.
    00smurf
    09-15-09 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD