Hi all - Long time lurker of the forums. Owned several BB's and have always benefited from the info that everyone provides here. Anyways I have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find online.

I'm trying to buy an unlocked 9700 so I can pop in a local sim card when I go abroad, and I seem to be having trouble knowing for sure of these will work over there or not. I know that unlocked tmobile 9700 can make/receive calls on ATT, but cannot have 3G. Will i have this same problem in Asia?

Here's the info for USA: GSM Coverage Maps | United States

Taiwan: GSM Coverage Maps | Taiwan

Thanks
    Last edited by buylowsellhigh; 03-27-10 at 05:49 PM.
    03-27-10 05:43 PM
    Yes depending on where you are. You will always have GSM service but because of the 3g bands on the device itself compared to that of the serving carrier 3g service will vary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 06:03 PM
    Great! Is there a way to know which 9700 a certain overseas operator needs? Or is it pretty much trial and error?
    03-27-10 07:56 PM
    Hi all - Long time lurker of the forums. Owned several BB's and have always benefited from the info that everyone provides here. Anyways I have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find online.

I'm trying to buy an unlocked 9700 so I can pop in a local sim card when I go abroad, and I seem to be having trouble knowing for sure of these will work over there or not. I know that unlocked tmobile 9700 can make/receive calls on ATT, but cannot have 3G. Will i have this same problem in Asia?

Here's the info for USA: GSM Coverage Maps | United States

Taiwan: GSM Coverage Maps | Taiwan

Thanks
    About all US BlackBerry's will function overseas.
    03-29-10 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD