Could everyone that has an unlocked BB please give me an little insight as to what the Pros and Cons are to unlocking? Is there anything carrier specific or phone specific? Ive got a Storm2 from Verizon. I appreciate anybodys help.
    05-06-10 12:25 PM
    Pros: Use any SIM card from anywhere.

Cons: None.

Additional: Search is your best friend. This is a very common question.
    05-06-10 12:34 PM
    Before I submitted the thread the related threads popped up and the latest was from jan of this year the rest were 2008 so I was just looking for something a little more up to date.
    05-06-10 12:39 PM
    Pros: Use any SIM card from anywhere.

Cons: None.

Additional: Search is your best friend. This is a very common question.
    This is my reply too!
    05-06-10 12:46 PM
    Con: Having to make the decision of which carrier to use. Having a locked phone makes that question really easy.
    05-06-10 01:10 PM
    Could everyone that has an unlocked BB please give me an little insight as to what the Pros and Cons are to unlocking? Is there anything carrier specific or phone specific? Ive got a Storm2 from Verizon. I appreciate anybodys help.
    It just allows you to use it on another gsm carrier.
    05-06-10 02:22 PM
    Personally i just got my Tour unlocked just in case i want to use a local SIM in another country for local calls. i haven't yet. When i went on a cruise i added the VZW Global data plan but did not have a need for voice calls. But you ever know!

Also, unlocking the device raises the resale value. i will sell my unlocked Tour when i get a Bold.

VZW gave me my unlock code for free. Otherwise, there are so many good unlocking companies here on CrackBerry that you'll have no trouble getting your BlackBerry unlocked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 02:26 PM
    Another advantage of unlocking: increases the resale value of your phone
    05-06-10 03:34 PM
    Here are the top reasons:

1) Increase resale price of the phone
    2) Allows you to use your phone on another network
    3) Allows you to not incur international roaming charges when travelling because you can pop a local sim into your phone in any country
    4) Gives you the ability to brag about your phone being unlocked (I know it doesn't sound like much...but the ladies love it)

There really aren't any cons besides paying for the code, but the cost of codes these days is so ridiculously cheap this isn't really a con
    05-07-10 11:16 AM
    Con: Having to make the decision of which carrier to use. Having a locked phone makes that question really easy.
    lol. Very true!
    05-07-10 11:21 AM
    In your case if you have an account with Verizon, there might be no cons because you can most probably get the unlock code for free by calling them.

Other than it can only add to your phone (all the pros mentioned above).

Also as some may tell you, we want to assure you that unlocking will not void your phone in any way.
    05-07-10 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD