09-16-09 11:29 AM
30 12
tools
    hey crackberry nation. i just won a free unlock code for my Bold from Horizon. Now i know its a good thing to have to go out of the country but i am not planning on traveling anytime soon. so i am wondering what r the pros and cons of unlocking my Bold. i am happy with it as is. i dont want to lose 3g or anything i have now. please help before i mess it up.
    also a big question i have is it possible to lock it again after ive unlocked it?
    02-02-09 09:22 AM
    Unlocking the phone will just enable you to use it with other gsm providers. I would unlock it even if you don't plan on leaving the country. If anything it will help the resale value of your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 09:26 AM
    will i lose any of da features i have now?
    also i upgrade da os pretty frequently. will it remain unlocked?
    02-02-09 09:28 AM
    will i lose any of da features i have now?
    also i upgrade da os pretty frequently. will it remain unlocked?
    No you will not lose anything, and yes it will remain unlocked for the life of the phone.
    02-02-09 09:32 AM
    No you will not lose anything, and yes it will remain unlocked for the life of the phone.
    Thanks! I'd still like to hear some other pros and cons from people who has an unlocked Bold, using Tmo, ATT or any other carrier.
    02-02-09 09:36 AM
    Unlocking it just let's you use it on other gsm carriers.. there are no cons to it. on T-Mobile you won't get 3G because they use different 3G network, but that has nothing to do with unlocking your bold.
    02-02-09 09:55 AM
    As stated already, there are no cons. If nothing else, you can go out and buy a prepaid sim card, pop it in your phone and start using a second phone number with your phone!

02-02-09 10:02 AM
    I unlocked my Bold to use on TMobile about 2 weeks ago now and I have to agree with everyone else, there are no real cons. It works fabulously! There are no hiccups or missing pieces or anything. I would highly recommend it because when I sold my Curve the first thing people asked is if it was unlocked. It helps the resale value!

The one thing I would say is be careful with the unlocked Bold, as in don't phsyically damage it. I do have insurance thru TMobile but it was on my Curve. After spending about a half an hour on the phone I found out that the insurance does follow your SIM card, but not the phone. So if I were to break this Bold I would get a comparable device, which is the new TMobile phone coming out, or I would have to buy another Bold.

Just unlock it! It is worth it!
    02-02-09 10:27 AM
    Pros: everything
    Cons: nothing

TM has best $BB plan in NYC if you take month to month service over your phone plan, especially if you want their free PC tethered service.

I never found any problem with TM EDGE. In NYC we have many places where you can get free WiFi at higher speed.
    02-02-09 10:32 AM
    ok koo. da only reason i ask is cuz i got da code for free. im plannin on sticking with att since i am on a 2 year contract which i just started, and im not goin out of the country anytime soon and have no reason to use another sim card. if theres no con i guess ill do it. thanks for all ur help everyone!!
    02-02-09 12:02 PM
    ok koo. da only reason i ask is cuz i got da code for free. im plannin on sticking with att since i am on a 2 year contract which i just started,
    No harm to use an unlocked ATT on ATT.
    You always will have an option at a later time to change to another carrier.
    02-02-09 12:36 PM
    AT&T gave me the unlock code for my bold over the phone. I have had not down side since I unlocked the phone.
    02-03-09 07:36 AM
    No major upside or downside. I have no plans to unlock, but if I was just handed the code I would. No harm.
    02-03-09 08:18 AM
    No major upside or downside. I have no plans to unlock, but if I was just handed the code I would. No harm.
    ya i had no plans either, but im gettin da code from dat contest which i really did not expect to be one of da winners, so i guess i might as well since theres no downside. thanks all!
    02-03-09 03:55 PM
    I'm using an unlocked bold on O2 UK and it works flawlessly. The major upside is I can use a local sim when I travel outside UK to avoid high roaming rates.

02-03-09 04:40 PM
    The only con I can see if you had an unlocked Bold working with a provider like T Mobile where you couldn't get 3G.
    02-03-09 04:50 PM
    Can I use an unlocked bold on the metro pcs network? I know they allow the use of blackberries now but not sure if the bold will work
    02-03-09 07:15 PM
    My Rogers salesman told me unlocking the phone would void warranty.

If this is true, I guess its a con.
    02-03-09 07:26 PM
    My Rogers salesman told me unlocking the phone would void warranty.

If this is true, I guess its a con.
    Ya Indeed, Unlock the phone will void the warranty depending with who you are... that's the only problem, but beside that, it's alright
    02-03-09 08:33 PM
    I would check with RIM on that, sounds like BS.
    02-03-09 08:35 PM
    Thats what I figured. I thought i would worry about it when / if I ever needed in unlocked.
    02-04-09 02:59 AM
    i use a unlocked Bold for tmobile and i love the phone but i hate Tmobile it sucks. the internet is slow alot of drooped service i cant wait until next month to switch to att
    02-04-09 03:17 AM
    You have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING TO GAIN!!

Enjoy your phone!
    02-04-09 03:20 AM
    I have a question about this. My sister in law traveled to europe once with her Att Bold. She called ATT and added international calling for 5 bucks a month. They just gave her the unlock code after she joined the international plan. My question is, are my sister in laws results the same as if someone won a free unlock code from Horizon Wireless like the OP here? In other words, the OP's free unlock code allows him free international calling and my sister in law has to pay?

03-16-09 08:28 PM
    No cons whatsoever, no voided warranty, nothing. Prepaid sim cards work beautifully once unlocked!
    03-16-09 10:39 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD