Hi everyone,

I just bought a pre-loved Bold from a mobile shop two days ago. It is unlocked and I have no plans to get a data plan yet. I would like to ask if I could use the Wi-Fi to access MSN Messenger, Facebook and Twitter applications that I have downloaded from Blackberry website.

Also, my phone has no Blackberry Maps icon.

Please help. Thanks.
    12-04-09 05:07 AM
    Well, Bold Brother....
    You most have a data plan for some apps.
    Msn messenger you can't use it, if you don't have Data on your phone.
    Facebook & Twitter yes you can use it.....
    Or by the way if you want the BlackBerry Maps you most have Data....
    So, just pay other 20 buck's and data so this way you can enjoy a real BlackBerry..
    Good Luck.

.Defton Gautreaux.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 06:21 AM
    Yes, get the bb network option
    12-04-09 08:36 AM
    newer facebook app requires BIS plan.
    12-04-09 12:14 PM
    but you can access FB though a WiFi connecton via your web browser/Bolt/Opera.. etc.. without a data plan.. but as Jan points out, you can't use the official FB App.. w/o a plan.
    12-04-09 03:17 PM
    Another issue you need to keep in mind if you want a data plan on an unlocked phone.

I used to work for a few cell phone companies and if the device you're using is unlocked and not theirs they usually don't garentee that the data plan will work on it. This means that it is possible that you may be charged the price of the data plan and ALL THE DATA YOU USE. it doesn't always happen.....but just letting you know they don't garentee it.
    12-15-09 11:42 PM
    Well the BIS/BES will cover all the data going through the phone. Most carriers in the USA provides BIS no matter if your phone is not theirs. For unlocked phone without the BB plan there are many work around for it.

For instance, I am using T-mobile and have T-zones only. I can access most sites and apps via the wap tcp.

For IM/AIM/Yahoo/MSN, etc use Beejive.
    For Twitter, FB use browsers.
    For maps, use google maps.
    Visual Voicemail use Youmail
    Email use google mail app.

There is a lot to do with cheap data plans and if you are around WIFI most of the time.
    12-16-09 12:29 AM
    You don't have to buy a data plan, but problem is, that BB has often programs, which doesnt use wifi but GSM data and there isnt always alternative programs for wifi.
    Its wery smart business for gsm providers, because then you have to buy data plan also, even if you are most of the time in wifi area.
    No this is not totally true - you dont have to buy data plan but this is usually cheaper then price per MB in month costs.
    In my opinion, this is wrong tactics, because in long term view nobody likes to pay just some month cost for data + for wifi (home or office) anyway.
    All other phones have apps for wifi and data, so they can choose. BB users often cant and are forced to use GSM "wifi". Very stupid...
    I know, because I live in Europe and most people even doesnt know what BB is . And if I show my BB Bold, they like it, but for them its very strange sit in the wifi area and use gsm data instead of wifi, because their phones using wifi then, they can CHOOSE.
    12-16-09 01:31 AM
    Wow....wow...
    12-16-09 03:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD