I bought a Storm 2 9550 from Kijiji and I'm having some issues. I have a Telus SIM card and there are no indications the phone is locked besides the fact that SMS won't send and when I make a call it says "Activate your Bell Mobility blah blah"

So I'm assuming it's locked to Bell.

I haven't bought an unlock code simply because I don't even think I can enter one? When I go to Advanced Options > SIM Card and type "M E P D" absolutely NOTHING happens.

I've tried with SIM and without. Network enabled and disabled. I can't find any way to enter an MEP code or whatever..

Anyone had this issue before?
    05-31-11 12:49 PM
    EDIT: I had to hold the CAPS button, but MEP2 won't work and it says "Disabled" for every option that appeared..
    05-31-11 01:03 PM
    Is your Telus simcard new or old?

Reason I ask is that if you purchased your telus simcard recently then it will not work with the Storm 9550 as it is a cdma based device and is locked to Bell.

The simcard slot in the storm series works the same as in the World edition 8830 and in the Tour 9630. They are world phones and only work on cdma / gms not hspa/umts.
    05-31-11 01:07 PM
    Okay, then maybe I can use the phone without a SIM?
    05-31-11 01:16 PM
    yes that you could, but only with bell. reason is that the esn ( electronic serial number ) is assigned to bell mobility. so it would not work with any other service provider.
    05-31-11 01:22 PM
    The Telus SIM card I have is only a few months old, I used it in my Bold 9700, so there's no hope of using a Bell Storm 9550 on my Telus plan?
    05-31-11 01:24 PM
    nope not at all, the simcard that you have is definitely not going to work with any of the storm series.

the only devices that I know of that the simcard you have will work with are the Bold 9700, Bold 9780, Curve 9300, Bold 9000, Torch 9800 and all newer simcard based models.
    05-31-11 01:30 PM
    That's unfortunate, I was under the impression that any phone I purchased, even if locked to a carrier, could be unlocked and used with my provider...
    05-31-11 01:35 PM
    not all phones are like that, every manufacturer falls under that rule.
    05-31-11 01:37 PM
    Any idea why MEPD works to display all, but then MEP2 does nothing? I want to unlock this phone.
    05-31-11 02:01 PM
    What does it say beside network when your type mepd ??? If it says disabled then it is already unlocked, it says active then you can unlock it. Additionally, if it says blocked then someone has used up all attempts to unlock.

Do you have a sim inside when your type mep2??

I would try to wipe the handheld and then try again
    05-31-11 02:51 PM
    What does it say beside network when your type mepd ??? If it says disabled then it is already unlocked, it says active then you can unlock it. Additionally, if it says blocked then someone has used up all attempts to unlock.

Do you have a sim inside when your type mep2??

I would try to wipe the handheld and then try again
    It says disabled, but if I make a call it says some Bell Mobility thing?
    05-31-11 08:03 PM
    It says disabled, but if I make a call it says some Bell Mobility thing?
    What does it do after you type MEP4
    06-03-11 01:11 AM
    If you go to options, mobile networks then network mode, is it set to Global? If so, switch it over to GSM/UMTS. Should get it going because it sounds like its already unlocked
    06-04-11 01:30 PM
    By all this discussion it also seems me that it is unlocked...
    07-31-11 08:56 AM
    I guess that your device is unlocked....
    09-02-11 12:06 PM
    EDIT: I had to hold the CAPS button, but MEP2 won't work and it says "Disabled" for every option that appeared..
    Well if it says "Disabled" it means that this Blackberry is already unlocked!
    09-04-11 10:47 PM
    I bought a Storm 2 9550 from Kijiji and I'm having some issues. I have a Telus SIM card and there are no indications the phone is locked besides the fact that SMS won't send and when I make a call it says "Activate your Bell Mobility blah blah"

So I'm assuming it's locked to Bell.

I haven't bought an unlock code simply because I don't even think I can enter one? When I go to Advanced Options > SIM Card and type "M E P D" absolutely NOTHING happens.

I've tried with SIM and without. Network enabled and disabled. I can't find any way to enter an MEP code or whatever..

Anyone had this issue before?
    Hi first post, first blackberry, and think after reading through this thread that I should have read it sooner So after checking out my friends I bought a Storm 2 9550 because I really liked the look and feel of it and the fact it had Wifi. It was also a Telus phone but it is definitely an unlocked phone. I have a Bell mobility contract and sim card but can't seem to connect to the Bell network nohow using the sim card. I don't have a data plan but only intend to use it just as a phone anyhow. Any suggestions to try or am I'm up sh@t creek without a paddle so to speak Thanks Ken
    12-20-11 09:20 PM
    Will only work on 2G on Rogers or Fido... Will not work on Bell.
    kenjames2 likes this.
    12-21-11 01:01 PM
    Oh crap, well thanks so much anyhow, call me a glutton for punishment but I am going to get a blackberry that will work on Bell regardless
    12-21-11 01:35 PM
    The ones will work:

9000, 9700, 9300, 9780, 9790, 9360, 9860, 9380, 9900, 9800, 9810

Make sure you don't get one from Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron/T-Mobile USA as they will not work with Bell.
    kenjames2 likes this.
    12-21-11 03:20 PM
    In case another bell mobility customer stumbles across this thread and you want to know if your device can be used on the bell network here is a way to check with bell if you have the IMEI ID

Will my mobile phone or smartphone work on the Bell network?
    12-27-11 12:36 PM
    Yes many carriers have a compatibility tool ..
    12-27-11 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD