I know a person who just recently got a Bold and tried to unlock it. She went through 3 different sources to try to unlock it but all 3 failed. I brought up the idea that MAYBE the phone was blacklisted and that was the reason why. At the same time, I was asking myself, how does a BlackBerry being blacklisted have to do with unlocking a device?

So like the thread title states, can a blacklisted BlackBerry prevent someone from unlocking their device? And if yes, why is that? Anybody can explain that?

(For those who might question where my friend got the Bold: Pretty common if you get any phone that's cheap, chances are it was stolen or something not legit. But usually, phones like that don't get blacklisted, she's had a few different BlackBerry's in the past. She's also on Fido)

Thanks
    09-01-08 09:54 AM
    People in the forum are usually not too keen on helping someone use a stolen phone. You can always report the ESN to the carrier. That's the definitive way to see if the phone's been reported lost or stolen. If it was, your friend is probably out of luck.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-01-08 at 04:28 PM.
    09-01-08 04:11 PM
    I think I might have rephrased it the wrong way...LOL. What I meant was for GSM users, they usually get their phones through a 3rd party and sometimes that 3rd party doesn't really get them through the the "right" way (I know all you GSM users don't pay full retail for you phone, those in Toronto, Pacific Mall? Hah) That's what I was hinting at. Shouldn't have used the word steal or stolen. But that's not the point. Simply, does unlocking have anything to do with ESN blacklisting?
    09-01-08 04:20 PM
    first of all... rogers does not blacklist devices... most gsm companies don't blacklist. even if a phone is stolen, they don't blacklist.

heres how unlocking works for blackberries. you go to these 3rd party companies like freeyourcellphone.com or horizonwirelessonline.com, then you give em your imei. they plug it into a rogers(or other provider depending on what carrier the phone is branded to) database and it spits out the unlock code. for unknown reasons, the database sometimes doesn't have the unlock code. it doesn't matter how many 3rd party companies you go to because they all get it form the same database. there is hope though. in such situations, you can get the code the direct manufacturer way. this means the company like freeyourcellphone.com is getting it directly form the rim database and they usually charge more for this and it takes longer than the regular way. i know freeyourcellphone.com has the direct rim way for sure and its about $50 whereas the regular method is $20.

heres the direct manufacturer way

Free Your Cellphone - Cellphone Unlocking, Cingular, T-Mobile, Rogers, Fido, AT&T, etc
    09-01-08 04:42 PM
    first of all... rogers does not blacklist devices... most gsm companies don't blacklist. even if a phone is stolen, they don't blacklist.

heres how unlocking works for blackberries. you go to these 3rd party companies like freeyourcellphone.com or horizonwirelessonline.com, then you give em your imei. they plug it into a rogers(or other provider depending on what carrier the phone is branded to) database and it spits out the unlock code. for unknown reasons, the database sometimes doesn't have the unlock code. it doesn't matter how many 3rd party companies you go to because they all get it form the same database. there is hope though. in such situations, you can get the code the direct manufacturer way. this means the company like freeyourcellphone.com is getting it directly form the rim database and they usually charge more for this and it takes longer than the regular way. i know freeyourcellphone.com has the direct rim way for sure and its about $50 whereas the regular method is $20.

heres the direct manufacturer way

Free Your Cellphone - Cellphone Unlocking, Cingular, T-Mobile, Rogers, Fido, AT&T, etc
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about that idea. I know people are getting it unlocked so codes are available but don't know where they are available. So another question is, one Bold could be unlocked through a 3rd party does that mean ALL could be or some might have to be through the manufacturer?
    09-01-08 04:47 PM
    well, all rogers devices(bold etc) are suppose to have the code in the rogers database, which means the 3rd parties should have access to it, but for some reason they aren't always there. in those situations you HAVE to to through the direct manufacturer way. you can always go through the direct manufacturer way, its just more costly and takes longer and if ure code is in the rogers database anyway, then why pay more and wait longer. so only some require direct manufacturer way
    09-09-08 11:12 PM
    well, all rogers devices(bold etc) are suppose to have the code in the rogers database, which means the 3rd parties should have access to it, but for some reason they aren't always there. in those situations you HAVE to to through the direct manufacturer way. you can always go through the direct manufacturer way, its just more costly and takes longer and if ure code is in the rogers database anyway, then why pay more and wait longer. so only some require direct manufacturer way
    Causes Rogers refuses to issue unlock codes anyways, 3rd party is the only option with Rogers devices.
    09-09-08 11:49 PM
    whats the solution to a blacklisted 8900 phone ... i don't think i am ever gonna buy a used phone in my life again
    10-05-09 04:54 AM
    whats the solution to a blacklisted 8900 phone ... i don't think i am ever gonna buy a used phone in my life again
    old thread friend. I would call your carrier and see if you can get on from them. idk who your with but if its AT&T they don't blacklist either, they just block the pin rendering the blackberry part of the phone useless
    10-05-09 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD