Hello, folks --

I'm a newbie to both the Forum and to BB, so I'll try not to do anything too dunderheaded. I did a search for this unlocking problem, but came up empty-handed.

I have a Bold 9650 with Verizon.

I travel to the Far East and Europe a lot, about 5X/month for a few days at a time. I called VZN and went through the unlocking steps with the rep. Everything seemed to go fine.

When I went to my friendly Beijing shop vendor to get a sim card put in, he used his sim card (China TelCom) and then said that my phone wasn't unlocked. When he called his shop with my BB, the Caller ID showed my normal US Verizon telephone number. He said that it shouldn't show up at all, since it had *his* sim card in it.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel and just upgrade to Verizon's international plan --- that way I wouldn't have to swap out sim cards every week when I'm in England, Germany, or China.

The only reason I got a BB was so my family could contact me when I'm on the road if something goes wrong at home. I use my laptop/Skype when I'm in the hotel.

Any advice? Thanks very much -- and this forum, BTW, is wonderful for getting out info! Love it!

TIA!
    07-22-10 02:35 PM
    First go to options-advanced options-sim card and type mepd. If it says Disabled or inactive then its unlocked and you're good.

Then go to options-mobile network and make sure your phone is set to GSM under Network mode.

Any luck now?
    07-23-10 06:34 PM
    It needs to be switched to GSM and not be on CDMA to register the SIM card.
    07-23-10 10:58 PM
    CarrierUnlock,

It needs to be switched to GSM and not be on CDMA to register the SIM card.
    Hoo, boy --- I was *pretty sure* I had done that, but obviously something isn't right, and it's probably user-generated. :-) I'll give that a try in a few days when I'm out of the country.

Thanks!
    07-26-10 12:42 PM
    Hi, RemoteUnlocker --

Thanks for your post!

When I select Options/Advanced Options/Sim Card/MEPD, I have Sim as Disabled and Network as Inactive. (I'm back in the States now and am using the OEM Verizon card.)

Should it show the Network as Inactive?

TIA --
    07-26-10 12:48 PM
    Hi, RemoteUnlocker --

Thanks for your post!

When I select Options/Advanced Options/Sim Card/MEPD, I have Sim as Disabled and Network as Inactive. (I'm back in the States now and am using the OEM Verizon card.)

Should it show the Network as Inactive?

TIA --
    Yes Inactive means your Blackberry is unlocked.
    07-27-10 12:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD