I have the Tour (9630). I get CID on "some" calls but it's very few. So, it does work on some switches. I tried with Google Voice, no. I tried with other VOIP services, no. I tried with some mobile (cell) phones and NO. I set the area code to my state area code and country code to +1.

I have tried content enabled and diabled, same results. Address book protection NO.

Any ideas on what's going on and the fix?
    07-25-10 02:47 AM
    CallerID only works on numbers that are already in your Address Book. Are you saying it doesn't work on those, or were you expecting the same CallerID function you get with a landline? To my knowledge, only Rogers offers that capability.
    07-25-10 07:30 AM
    Do you get CID with your contacts? If your contacts aren't displaying, make sure their numbers are entered as 10 contiguous digits (no spaces, dashes or parenthesis). When a non-contact calls, what's displayed?
    07-25-10 03:33 PM
    Do you get CID with your contacts? If your contacts aren't displaying, make sure their numbers are entered as 10 contiguous digits (no spaces, dashes or parenthesis). When a non-contact calls, what's displayed?
    Umm. No. No CID for many calls, only some are coming through. I've made it easy, I've deleted all the contacts from my phone for testing purposes (see below).

CallerID only works on numbers that are already in your Address Book. Are you saying it doesn't work on those, or were you expecting the same CallerID function you get with a landline? To my knowledge, only Rogers offers that capability.
    See previous post to RegE. I think we're not all on the same page here. Caller ID (CID): Caller ID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia refers to the phone NUMBER. What appears on the display is UNKNOWN. No phone number, just UNKNOWN.

Generally speaking, as with landlines, not all numbers will have a name associated with them but the phone number should show up (not with my BB) unless the incoming call is long distance and then it would depend on which switch the call goes through.

The phone numbers that ARE being displayed are NOT in the address book or the SIM card of the mobile phone being used to receive call being tested (see below). But those are few. MOST numbers from (callers) aren't showing up at all.

In my situation some numbers (forget about the address/contact book for now) show as uknown when the number should appear. I am not concerned about NAME or CONTACT DISPLAY.

As stated previously, not all numbers are being identified. In otherwords, the BB is not registering or decoding the signal from the telephone company when it should be, as has been tested with about 5 different mobile phones ranging in age from 1 year to 5 years old. All of them register the phone number on the display but not the BB for the calls in question. For some reason, the BB is not picking up the phone number for many calls when it should be as has been proven on different phones used to receive the calls from the same number.

And as an example. One of the few numbers that does come through is my work landline and my gf's cellular phone. Yet, my mom who is also on the same cellular network, her NUMBER does NOT show up. I've got other examples too from different people, varying from landlines to cellular numbers. All of their numbers have worked fine with other phones but not my BB. If I call forward my BB to my landline, their NUMBERS (and name) shows up on my LANDLINE. So it's NOT a caller or telephone provider problem unless of course, calls for some reason by design are suppose to go through the BB server (I dont have a data plan on my BB).
    Last edited by Spaz888; 07-30-10 at 03:44 AM.
    07-30-10 03:10 AM
    Spaz888,
    If you think your attitude is soliciting assistance, you're wrong! Jeff and I are asking questions because you weren't clear and we're trying to get a clear picture of your situation. Our question asked if you were getting your contacts CID. We still don't know the answer to that. Jeff advised that if you're expecting to receive CID likening that of your landline, it's not possible - unless your carrier is Rogers. I have no idea what you mean by setting the area / country code, address book protection and content enabled / disabled. The only setting I'm aware of that has to do with area codes or country codes is Smart Dialing, which has nothing to do with CID. In your first post you say you tried other phones with no luck. In your last post you say every phone you've tried works except the BB. Which is it?

Anyway, when you receive a call from a number that's NOT listed in your contacts, you will ONLY get the number (no name or geographical location) if it's available. Otherwise, you'll get Unavailable or Unknown if the number can't be deciphered or decoded by your carrier; and you'll get Private if it's blocked. With your contacts, they're name and number will show when you receive a call from them. Further, [I think] the caller ID functionality is dependent upon the Service Provider, not the device - with the exception of contact CID.

If your device isn't working as described, I'd call your provider and ascertain what's normal functionality.
    07-30-10 04:09 AM
    I understand the distinction between CallerID and CallerID+Name. I also understand Content Protection is not the source of your problem. One possible explanation for your getting unknown instead of the number is that the calls are crossing a LATA boundary that does not pass the number info. That used to be common. However, if a generic cellphone can display the number, then that is not the explanation in your case. That appears to put the problem on either your specific 9630 or your carrier. Since I don't know any settings on the device that can disable CallerID, even inadvertently, that leaves the carrier. As RegE suggested, call Customer Service and see what they say. Or go to a carrier store and try it with an activated Tour in the store.
    07-30-10 07:34 AM
    Thanks Jeff. It's become quite frustrating for me. Rogers, my carrier has said to me that since the 9630 is an unlocked phone not from them, their support is very limited. Since Caller ID is set up on my line/profile and works on all other generic phones, the problem (they feel) is not with them but my 9630.

Just today, I tried testing with someone else's UNLOCKED Tour and it works fine. I suspect something in the unlocking process has caused my 9630 not to display the phone number on some calls.
    07-30-10 02:37 PM
    Given your problem may have been caused by the unlocking process, I'm going to move this thread to the Unlocking Forum. The guys there are very knowledgeable and may be able to offer some guidance. I'll continue to watch the thread to see if you solve it.

EDIT: I also renamed it to highlight the current issue.
    07-30-10 03:19 PM
    Thanks Jeff,

Just another anomoly. This could be with BBs in general, but I kinda doubt it. When I receive an SMS message and my BB is turned off completely, the timestamp is when the BB receives it (after the BB is turned on) not when it was received by my mobile carriers servers. For example. Message was sent on 07/30/2010 @ 10AM, the BB was turned on at 07/31/2010 @8AM, the time stamp will be just shortly after 07/31/2010 @0801 AM
    07-31-10 02:29 PM
    ...This could be with BBs in general, but I kinda doubt it. When I receive an SMS message and my BB is turned off completely, the timestamp is when the BB receives it (after the BB is turned on) not when it was received by my mobile carriers servers.
    I think it's SOP for BB as all three of my previous BBs did the same thing. I find it disconcerting not knowing when I actually received the message. Fortunately, I only have mine off for 3 hours at most.
    07-31-10 02:50 PM
    Thanks Jeff,

Just another anomoly. This could be with BBs in general, but I kinda doubt it. When I receive an SMS message and my BB is turned off completely, the timestamp is when the BB receives it (after the BB is turned on) not when it was received by my mobile carriers servers. For example. Message was sent on 07/30/2010 @ 10AM, the BB was turned on at 07/31/2010 @8AM, the time stamp will be just shortly after 07/31/2010 @0801 AM
    As RegE noted, the time stamp you are seeing is normal, not an anomaly. If you open the text message, you should see the time it was received there.
    07-31-10 04:07 PM
    Thanks guys. I'll pay more attention next time. I delete my SMS regularly.

Does any one know what was BB's rationale for doing things this way since generic phones dont work in this manner?.
    07-31-10 10:28 PM
    Well...looks like I was right about the SMS. I sent a few SMS texts late last night. I turned on my BB today and both messages came through within a minute of each other. The time stamp is the same. It doesnt matter if open the message, it's the same: the actual time it was received, not sent.
    08-01-10 06:21 PM
    I have done a bit of digging. Looks like I need an MSL code and then do some hacking to get the CID working. Any suggestions ?

Is there any command in the BB that disables or shows metainfo?
    08-02-10 12:10 AM
    The unlockers might be able to help you with the MSL code.
    08-02-10 07:28 AM
    I hope so. It's quite frustrating especially when you pay for the service (CID) and it's not available on the BB but it is on generic phones. I just need the MSL code but I am not getting having any luck. Paying for the code isn't worth it since it's not 100% certain that it'll fix the CID issue.
    08-06-10 09:47 PM
    I hope so. It's quite frustrating especially when you pay for the service (CID) and it's not available on the BB but it is on generic phones. I just need the MSL code but I am not getting having any luck. Paying for the code isn't worth it since it's not 100% certain that it'll fix the CID issue.
    We can get the MSL code for you.
    08-06-10 10:58 PM
    We can get the MSL code for you.
    Thanks, but as I stated in the above post, I dont want to go the paid route unless you can guarantee that my CID issue will be resolved after I get the MSL code.
    08-06-10 11:45 PM
    Thanks, but as I stated in the above post, I dont want to go the paid route unless you can guarantee that my CID issue will be resolved after I get the MSL code.
    Well then call up your carrier and see if they will give it to you
    08-07-10 12:38 AM
    Well then call up your carrier and see if they will give it to you
    Well what's the point of your point of post then?
    Besides, someone already offered me the MSL for $10.
    08-07-10 01:27 AM
    Complaining about money. The carrier is the only who could give it to you for free.
    08-07-10 01:00 PM
    Complaining about money. The carrier is the only who could give it to you for free.
    Dumb question! What is the MSL code you guys are referring to? I have owned and unlocked ton's of BB's, but they have all been Rogers phones and only unlocked to make it easier to sell them when i upgraded later, so I have still been using them on Rogers. If all goes well I will be running an unlocked AT&T Torch on Rogers and IF I happen to have the same problem with CID, I need to know how to fix it (and yes, I don't have a problem paying $$ if I have to. It's the price you pay to play the game).
    08-08-10 01:08 AM
    Its more for CDMA/World Phone because its still wanting to show the cdma info. MSL code removes that.
    08-08-10 10:51 AM
    Its more for CDMA/World Phone because its still wanting to show the cdma info. MSL code removes that.
    Ah ok. No wonder I have never heard of it/had to deal with that issue. Thanks!
    08-08-10 11:42 AM
    @GibMcFragger. As it was explained to me. The MSL code allows you to get into the service mode of your particular phone. I always had GSM phones and I never came across this issue before. Two of the most prevalent issues I am facing is the CID not working right and SMS header info not accurately reflecting the time stamp. Both I can learn to live without. As a matter of fact, I may just have someone else worry about these issues as I will likely sell my Tour on CL.
    08-09-10 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD