I'm planning on giving my old non-active Telus 9630 to someone (they are going to be using rogers) but I'm not sure if you can unlock it without using a sim card during the unlocking process. I don't want to buy the code only to find out if I need to use a sim card while putting the code in so I came here in hopes you guys can help me out!
    11-16-11 04:38 PM
    Hi l3ueberry,

Yes, you can unlock it without a simcard in it.

Try the following instructions:

Go to Manage Connections
    Click on Turn All Connections On
    Go to Options
    Click on Advanced Options
    Click on SIM Card
    Type MEPD
    Type MEP2 (user will be prompted to enter MEP code)
    Enter the 8 or 16 digit MEP2 code (CONFIRM you get "Code Accepted" message)

Your Blackberry is now permanently unlocked!

Try it first, if you are prompted for the unlock code, you will know it will work

then buy an unlock code and unlock the phone!

I'm planning on giving my old non-active Telus 9630 to someone (they are going to be using rogers) but I'm not sure if you can unlock it without using a sim card during the unlocking process. I don't want to buy the code only to find out if I need to use a sim card while putting the code in so I came here in hopes you guys can help me out!
    11-16-11 06:37 PM
    You will need a sim card in the device to unlock it or you can use a global roaming card.
    11-16-11 08:24 PM
    Although freeyourberry is also right, on many models you normally need a simcard in the phone to bring up the MEP unlock code prompt

But,

We have tried many times without a simcard on older phones like the 9630, storm, 9000, 8900, etc and it is possible to unlock without a simcard most of the time.

Just try to bring up the MEP code prompt using the instructions above,

if it asks for the unlock code, then you will know it's safe to buy an unlock code and enter it in the phone
    Last edited by BlackberryCodeSource; 11-16-11 at 08:52 PM.
    11-16-11 08:40 PM
    thanks everyone but not I have a totally different issue! the service i was using was blackberryunlocking.us (they had an app on the app world). I got an error message on the app saying i should contact administrator. I still received an email so I tried to use the code anyways but it failed twice getting an error message.

I used this service yesterday on my current 9810 but since this phone was not activated at the moment I decided to ask that question earlier. Anyways I went to contact them about it but I didn't pay close enough attention to the website url. I went on the "blackberryunlock.us" website instead of "blackberryunlocking.us" and sent them an email about the whole situation with my IMEI. Is this going to be a problem? Does anyone know if that website is legit? thanks just kind of worried...
    11-16-11 09:52 PM
    They are legit. You must of sent them the incorrect imei.
    11-17-11 12:15 AM
    They are legit. You must of sent them the incorrect imei.
    I email them and the problem was I clicked "9360" instead of "9630" they were very helpful and gave me the correct code.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 03:41 AM
    Glad your phone is now unlocked

Enjoy your unlocked blackberry!

I email them and the problem was I clicked "9360" instead of "9630" they were very helpful and gave me the correct code.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 03:53 AM
    Good to know your phone is unlocked now. enjoy!
    if in future you want your phone unlocked give us a try
    11-17-11 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD