Just picked up my Tour yesterday and wanted to get it unlocked because I'll be going on a cruise to get married in a couple weeks. I plan on picking up a prepaid SIM card so I don't get bombarded with fees from Big Red.

So I called the Global Support number that I found (800-711-8300) and the guy I spoke with first didn't have the ability to unlock the Tour yet. Just sounded like they hadn't given him access so after talking about the build quality and how I liked it blah blah blah, he transferred me to another rep that was more than happy to assist me.

I explained that I was going on a cruise in a few days and wanted to get the phone unlocked and she actually cut me off without wanting much explanation which surprised me. She paused for a bit and explained that she was making sure the account was in good standing. (Been a customer for 6 years, wasn't worried here) She asked if I was on the phone and I told her it was the only phone I had access to but I had instructions on how to unlock the phone once I had the code. She snidely replied, "Where'd you get the instructions from?" *panic* "Uhhhh the internet...."

*Brief Pause*

"Okay, well what I'm going to do is go ahead and send you an e-mail with the Terms of Agreement and have you verbally agree to the terms." Whew!

Got the e-mail immediately, agreed, got the code. 5 minutes tops. And best of all, it was free!
    07-18-09 04:12 PM
    The Verizon Fine Print does say (I forget where exactly right now) that they will unlock 1 phone every n months (for free) if your account is in good standing for 60 days. Though it is nice when the reps do what you expect.
    07-18-09 04:38 PM
    I did unlock my phone the other day through Verizon and it was such a great experience!
    Kudos to VZW reps!
    07-19-09 10:45 PM
    does anyone know if verizon is blocking domestic sim cards here in the us like t mobile?????
    07-20-09 01:29 AM
    what are the advantages of unlocking your phone. why do it? arent u tied in to verizon for two years with contract or something close to that unless u paid full retail. i understand those actually going out of country but other that i would like to kno wat are the benefits before i try and do it. ty
    07-20-09 01:59 AM
    do they remove the esn switcher from your online account?
    07-20-09 02:50 AM
    Verizon should unlock your phone for free, your account has to be in good standings also. If they can't unlock it for you. We can unlock it.
    07-21-09 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD