I was really bummed about not having GPS on the Pearl w/o VZ Nav, but I read on a thread that someone called customer service and was told that the next OS update would unlock the feature. Has anyone else heard anything about this? The locked GPS is the only thing I hate about the BB. Otherwise this is my greatest phone ever!
    02-22-08 10:12 AM
    I have not heard anything like this...but that would be sweet. I doubt it though.
    02-22-08 10:15 AM
    It must be 'unlocked' to some degree since we can use the free 'mobile Google Maps' application.. (download it free here Google Maps)

Unfortunately the GPS seems to be off by around 500-2000 meters all the time when using google maps on my 8130 though, can anyone explain? (its not just a calibration issue like its always 1000 meters too far west, its just 'off' in various directions and by various amounts, kinda annoying)

...and yes my phone is Verizon, the 8130 Pearl.
    02-22-08 10:27 AM
    coolskier, that is NOT gps showing your position, is simply cell tower location and triangulation. That is why it is off by the large distance, and why your GMM shows a large light blue circle. You could be anywhere in that cirlcle. Any BB, with or without GPS can get the GMM service.

No, you can't unlock VZW gps without first subscribing to their VZ Navigator application.
    02-22-08 10:34 AM
    I should mention: mobile google maps is totally still cool, if you dont have it yet I recommend at least checking it out, the GPS isn't accurate enough for stand-alone exact driving directions but if u 'click' along step by step it does accurately tell u where to turn identically to the directions u'd normally get from google maps, even incorporating (accurately) live traffic info..

Another cool feature is you can toggle between straight 'map' and hybrid map/satellite views like you can in the regular google maps, to do this just click Menu and select between 'Map View' and 'Satellite View'

I deleted the bb maps app that came on my phone already and I would never consider paying verizon a $10 monthly fee for their stupid proprietary nav subscription...
    02-22-08 10:35 AM
    ah ha, that makes sense jsanders, also explains why its off by varying amounts at different times, oh well-bummer
    02-22-08 10:37 AM
    No, you can't unlock VZW gps without first subscribing to their VZ Navigator application.
    From a technical standpoint does someone understand how Verizon locks GPS from other apps / is there really *no* possible technical way for another app to access the GPS data?
    02-22-08 10:42 AM
    A bet someone at RIM understand how it is locked. But this debate has been raging for literally months now. The Einstein may just come along and do it, no one has yet. If anyone understood it, they just aren't speaking.
    02-22-08 10:52 AM
    I was really bummed about not having GPS on the Pearl w/o VZ Nav, but I read on a thread that someone called customer service and was told that the next OS update would unlock the feature. Has anyone else heard anything about this? The locked GPS is the only thing I hate about the BB. Otherwise this is my greatest phone ever!
    I have also heard about this, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up...
    02-22-08 12:02 PM
    Everybody with Verizon needs to call and lodge a complaint with VZW CS about the GPS being locked. Remind them that Verizon is the only company doing this. If enough complaints get made I am sure they will unlock it eventually. $10 a month for GPS is nuts! I can't imagine anyone is subscribing to that service no matter what pone they have.
    02-23-08 10:11 PM
    yeah what they do is click a check box on your account and then suddenly the GPS is unlocked.... when you download VZCrapigator then it will work with the GPS... when you unsubscribe, then uncheck that box... basically...

they completely control whether the signal gets sent to your BB...or that it can receive..
    02-23-08 10:15 PM
    Everybody with Verizon needs to call and lodge a complaint with VZW CS about the GPS being locked. Remind them that Verizon is the only company doing this. If enough complaints get made I am sure they will unlock it eventually. $10 a month for GPS is nuts! I can't imagine anyone is subscribing to that service no matter what pone they have.
    It's been like this for years. Doesn't seem like any amount of pressure is working.

It's so much easier just to buy a GPS bluetooth puck and start GPSing on your own.
    02-23-08 10:28 PM
    and two years ago it was them crippling the bluetooth!! people can complain all they want, but no matter what they still represent 10% of the Verizon users... kinda like politics.. the smart educated people who know their stuff are dwarfed by people who don't care one way or another

calling Verizon won't do anything, the brainwashed call center people could care less if you express your opinion... it's sad, but that's the way it is..
    02-24-08 01:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD