I bought a BB Curve 9320 back in January of 2013 from Telus in Canada. I successfully unlocked it with the use of third-party unlocking code. I've since used it on three different networks (two in Canada, one in the U.S.) without difficulty.

I gave the phone to my in-laws who are travelling in Ireland this month. I told them the phone was unlocked, and to purchase a pay-as-you-go SIM from an Irish provider and pop it into the BB.

They've tried two different, major mobile retailers (Tesco Mobile and Vodafone) and been told the same thing by both providers: the phone is "locked" and can't be used without obtaining the unlock code from the original provider.

Does this make sense to anyone? I was given to understand that once a BB was unlocked, it could be used on any network in the world (assuming the bands were compatible). The guy at Vodafone told my in-laws that, "North America and Europe are different," whatever that means. I could understand if they said it was a GSM or HSPA issue or something like that, but both insist the phone is "locked" and requires an "unlock code." I have never heard of a BB re-locking and needing a second code.

Anyone experienced this?
    04-19-14 11:38 AM
    no difference as to where you unlocked

You should not need a SIM card, I never have.

On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.

At that screen type MEPD on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.

Look for Network in the list.

If your device is "unlocked", it should say Disabled or Inactive. If it says Active, it's still locked to that carrier.
    Can you confirm this or deny?

Welcome to CrackBerry by the way
    04-19-14 03:59 PM
    Yeah, I've never heard of this with BBs either. I have heard of other phones being region-locked, but not BBs.

Telling them it's locked is one thing, testing it with a SIM is another. The next retailer store they go to, they should actually have a SIM put in their phone.
    04-19-14 07:36 PM