Good morning all! I have been lurking on this forum as I've been lusting after a BB for a while. I just bought a Curve 8310 that is locked to AT&T, but I have T-Mobile.

I read a lot on this forum about getting the unlock code directly from AT&T when you ARE a customer, but couldn't find much about getting it from them when you're NOT.

Has anyone done this? What is my "reason" for getting the phone unlocked when I talk to them?

If there's already a thread about this, please just point me in the right direction.

Thanks! I wanna get started setting up my BB already!

*update*

I called ATT customer service and told them that I was a previous customer and had purchased the phone while I was still a customer, and that I had been told when I bought it that I could call and get the unlock code if I changed services. The customer service rep was super polite and gave me the code over the phone, PLUS instructions on how to unlock it. 5 minutes later and it's done! Yay!
    Last edited by octoterapus; 06-04-09 at 07:14 PM. Reason: new info.
    06-04-09 01:05 PM
    Unless you are a customer, they will not give one to you. You will have to pay for one. A good site to get one is Cellunlock.net
    06-04-09 01:11 PM
    just tell them the truth, that you bought it and you want to use it for tmobile. it doesn't hurt to try
    06-04-09 02:03 PM
    im a tmobile customer. i just called at&t 2 days ago, said i needed an unlock code. she asked for my account, i said i dont have one, just wanna see if i like the blackberry. she said ok, heres the code, you need a valid at&t sim card in it to unlock and youre all set. took 5 minutes. done and done.
    06-05-09 12:49 AM
    OP, congrats for giving it a shot and getting it. everything depends on what kinda rep you get. its always worth a shot.
    06-05-09 03:59 AM
    You can buy a code on ebay for like $4. I did it that way, and I have att....lol quoick and painless!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 08:43 AM
    All I have to say is WOW. In all the years I sold wireless and tried to get any carrier to unlock their phone for a non-customer, I was never successful. And I even tried the truth and some less than truthful stories. I'm amazed!
    06-06-09 03:31 PM
    Or let another At&t customer try and unlock it for you, if you know any? Just let them put their SIM in the phone, and have them call up. Doesn't hurt to try
    06-06-09 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD