So I was lucky enough to have won an unlock code (hasn't come yet but it is still early) from Cell Unlock.

I have all kinds of questions related to this and did my best to search for as many answers as possible. But I still think I may be confused on a few things and would appreciate any help/feedback.

Sooooo, ok first things first, I am on Verizon. If I were to travel overseas for a brief duration of time (let's say 1 week), then I may want to think about balancing the cost of buying/using a SIM versus a prorated week of Verizon Intl/Data service.

Do I understand correctly that if I use a foreign SIM, that I will NOT get email/data (as most foreign SIMs do not have BB Services)?

If I had a foreign SIM that did, how does my mail get routed to that?

Can I operate a foreign SIM for voice/txt and still also get VZW/BB data/email? I assume if I can, that I would want to perhaps get the VZW intl data/mail for the prorated time that I am there? If so also, I assume that I would have to change the option for the service back to 1XEV from GSM? Do I have to reboot?

I guess I am just looking for a simple step-by-step of how this thought process goes in relation to my situation. On one hand, even if unlocked, it could be easier just to get the VZW services (and I do understand that it is not "on top" of my current plan and technically "replaces" my plan for the period of time that I am there).

If it makes any difference in how you respond to me, if I travel overseas, the calling part is more likely to be emergency calls home and the like. I would be more concerned about staying on top of my work mail. I would think for the calling stuff, it would be cheaper to get a SIM, but it is just a question of how to best stay in touch with my mail.

Sorry if I am not asking the questions correctly.
    12-16-09 12:14 PM
    The more I read, the more it seems like that for brief durations, it might be best to get VZW's global plan on a prorated basis. Especially since the calling side tends to be more for emergencies when over there (i.e., my fam needing to reach me). And I would rather they not have to make an Intl call to reach me.

Looking forward to any thoughts.
    12-16-09 12:44 PM
    Glad you were a winner! Congrats!

Some carriers overseas will offer Blackberry Data as well on prepaid SIM cards. If you just plan on using email then yes probably the cheapest and best Options would be to sign up for Verizon's Int'l Email plan which you can just add before you travel.

If you plan on visiting a country where you have a lot of contacts and family then yes it's better to get local SIM card so you can call locally.

Also you can use both Prepaid/Local SIM and Verizon but not at the same time, you will have to swap SIM cards everytime because once you go overseas you will have to use Verizon's SIM card in order to use their service (they have a roaming agreement with Voda).

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    12-16-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD