Hi everyone, I'm a new Blackberry Storm 9550 owner and I found crackberry.com today and have spent the past while reading through the huge amount of great advice on how to get the most out of my phone. Unfortunately, I still have some questions after reading through the material so I'm hoping you may be able to guide me - in newbie terms - so I can learn a bit more.

My 9550 is with Verizon on a two-year contract. I have no problems with them and don't really wish to change providers but I do want to unlock my phone for two reasons: (i) so I can have access to anything that Verizon may be blocking in the way of third party applications, etc., and update the OS without all the added Verizon crap like boot-up screens, etc; and (ii) so I can have the phone unlocked and ready to accept a local sim card when I travel overseas.

All of the guides I have seen mention such things as "insert your sim card now" but I don't have one yet. I want it unlocked in anticipation of traveling and getting a local sim card when I arrive there.

My biggest concern is that if I unlock the 9550 I will no longer have access to the Verizon network (calling, text, MMS, email, etc.) - and then I'll be paying for a service with no phone. And I don't want to have to go cap in hand to them, beg for forgiveness, and ask them to fix it for me.

So right now I have no sim card at all - for any network. I guess what I want to know is, can I unlock the phone and still carry on with Verizon as if nothing happened, and then have the freedom to insert a sim and join any other network worldwide if and when I choose to do so?

My apologies in advance if this has already been addressed - I've spent a lot of time searching the forums but I didn't manage to find anything dealing with this exact situation.
    03-18-10 03:01 PM
    if you bought the phone from verizon, you do have a sim card. it is right beside your microSD card and should be branded verizon/vodaphone. to get it unlocked, all you have to do is call verizon and tell them you are going overseas and need the phone unlocked. this is something they will do for their customers with no complaint because they market the 9550 as a "world phone". all you have to do is ask!
    03-18-10 03:08 PM
    First off, if you bought the phone from Verizon, you have a sim card. Secondly, you don't need an unlocked phone do anything that you have listed.
    03-18-10 03:12 PM
    ...(i) so I can have access to anything that Verizon may be blocking in the way of third party applications, etc., and update the OS without all the added Verizon crap like boot-up screens, etc;
    Verizon doesn't block anything on the Storm2 except for around the GPS. GPS works with 3rd party apps, but I think aGPS, which is quicker and more accurate, is locked to VZNav Only? But you'll have to search for the GPS discussions as my memory is a little fuzzy.. Basically 3rd party GPS based apps DO work just fine

"out of the box" you can flash other firmwares (hybrid, leaks, from other carriers), load any apps compatible with the 95xx devices, etc.
    ...(ii) so I can have the phone unlocked and ready to accept a local sim card when I travel overseas.
    All Verizon Storm, Storm2 and Tour devices ship with a Verizon/Vodaphone branded SIM card pre-installed.

If the device is active on an account in good standing, and you are authorized on the account, Call VZW's Global Service support department and ask them for the unlock code.

Btw, SIM unlocking wont impact your VZW service, unless you put a non-VZW sim in, and force your phone to "GSM only"
    03-18-10 03:32 PM
    I would also add, that if your trip is only temporary-inquire about Verizon's roaming plan-very affordable and you don't have to worry about changing the sim card. My company does this when they send us over seas. Also about the Verizon screen. It's just a splash screen and it can be deleted. Just do a search on the forums for a thread titled "MFI Loader" or "MML loader". I deleted mine so my company logo appears when my phone boots.
    03-18-10 03:41 PM
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. You're right of course - the sim card is there. The Verizon guy told me it didn't need one so I assumed it wasn't there but I just checked and there it is. So all I have to do is call Verizon and get the unlock code? I'll do that right now.

Thank you so much for the advice - I did tell you I was a newbie, so apologies for naive questions. Now I can start to learn even more about this great phone and what I can do with it.
    03-18-10 04:23 PM
    So all I have to do is call Verizon and get the unlock code? I'll do that right now.
    Yep, but I am still confused as to why you need it to be unlocked. Are you going over seas for an extended amount of time? Depending on where you are going, even with an unlocked phone and exchanged and or pre paid sim card, you can still be hit with residency charges. Not as high as normal roaming but not cheap either.
    Last edited by jbdale; 03-18-10 at 06:24 PM.
    03-18-10 06:20 PM
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. You're right of course - the sim card is there. The Verizon guy told me it didn't need one so I assumed it wasn't there but I just checked and there it is. So all I have to do is call Verizon and get the unlock code? I'll do that right now.

Thank you so much for the advice - I did tell you I was a newbie, so apologies for naive questions. Now I can start to learn even more about this great phone and what I can do with it.
    As you were told, you have nothing to worry, Unlocking your Blackberry will not impact your Verizon service.

Also note that the SIM card Verizon ships with the phone is only meant to roam outside North America.

Unlocking your Blackberry will enable you to use the GSM side of your phone with most GSM SIM cards worldwide. So let's say you were to travel to Europe, you can buy a local prepaid SIM card, insert in your Blackberry and then switch the phone from CDMA to GSM in Options/Mobile Network and voila...

Enjoy your Blackberry.
    03-19-10 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD