I havent had a cell phone for many years. Just recently bought a Bold, which was locked to T Mobile.

I unlocked it and was told by AT&T to update the OS to the most recent AT&T version. Easy enough.

What surprised me was after the unlock, and then the OS upgrade, the phone was locked to T-Mobile again and could not 'see' AT&T service!

I was sure I had read here that once it is unlocked, you can change the OS and the phone will stay unlocked?
    09-05-09 12:51 PM
    Did you pay to have it unlocked by AT&T? You should really ask them to unlock it for you again free of charge.
    09-05-09 01:12 PM
    No, I paid a internet company. Because it was a T-mobile original phone, ATT said they could not do it. Because T-Mobile said I wasnt a customer, they would'nt do it!

So when you upgrade a new OS, you have to unlock it all over again?
    09-05-09 02:26 PM
    No, I paid a internet company. Because it was a T-mobile original phone, ATT said they could not do it. Because T-Mobile said I wasnt a customer, they would'nt do it!

So when you upgrade a new OS, you have to unlock it all over again?
    a Bold locked to Tmobile?
    where did you get the phone from?
    once your phone is unlocked its unlocked...you need to better explain what you did and where you got this Tmobile bold from
    09-05-09 02:32 PM
    are you sure this is a bold?
    09-05-09 02:36 PM
    I don't understand how a Bold could be locked to T-Mobile. I could be wrong, but I don't think T-Mobile sells the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 03:43 PM
    Yes it is a bold. I bought it off ebay from a guy in Az. The ousdie of the phone said ATT.

I put my ATT SIM in. When I looked at setup it said tmobile. I could not select ATT as there were no other options, and it said 'bad sim'. Went to ATT and they didn't really look at setup, just made a new SIM, which ended up not working... got SOS service only.

Then att guy checked setup and found Tmobile only, and no choice to see or select other service, so he said it was locked.

Got internet provider and paid for code and unlocked. It then allowed to see ATT. but sim was still said bad.

back to att and they took sim card and put into other phone, and could make and receive calls.

so phone was likely bad. Att said to upload most recent ATT OS for BB Bold, and install. they said it would not re-lock phone.

So I upgraded OS, and upon restarting phone I was back to tmobile.

I gave up and am sending this phone back for refund.

But I was sure I read somewhere here that if you upgrade OS, phone stays unlocked.
    Last edited by JeffDC; 09-05-09 at 03:51 PM.
    09-05-09 03:48 PM
    I just bought an unlocked T-Mobile Bold from ebay too.
    The seller lives in the UK, I thought it was weird to see a Bold branded as T-Mobile too!

At least it will be kind of unique
    09-06-09 06:11 PM
    T-Mobile UK Sells the Bold as one of the BB's On their lines. T-Mobile USA does not sell the BOLD.

But upgrading the OS should not lock the phone back up, I'd suggest you give message the person you received the unlock code from and let them know your situation and what happened, & see if he will give you another unlock code.
    09-07-09 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD