09-02-14 11:06 AM
61 123
tools
    Hi.

I requested a Network Unlock Code from T-Mobile USA yesterday and got it this morning, which is great since it's listed as taking 2-14 days on their website. Unfortunately, after entering the 16 digit code, which was met with "Network code entered successfully", the Q10 still has the Unlock Network button instead of displaying "Network Unlocked". I've already made two attempts at entering the code, verifying what I entered each time, with no luck. I doubled checked to make sure I gave the correct IMEI and it's correct. What bit of information am I missing? Could the unlock code I was given be incorrect?

Thanks!
    Last edited by cbvinh; 08-04-14 at 12:31 AM.
    08-04-14 12:20 AM
    Hi.

I requested a Network Unlock Code from T-Mobile USA yesterday and got it this morning, which is great since it's listed as taking 2-14 days on their website. Unfortunately, after entering the 16 digit code, the Q10 still has the Unlock Network button instead of displaying "Network Unlocked". I've already made two attempts at entering the code, verifying what I entered each time, with no luck. I doubled checked to make sure I gave the correct IMEI and it's correct. What bit of information am I missing? Could the unlock code I was given be incorrect?

Thanks!
    Go to the T-mobile store. T-mobile is an ***** and doesnt recognize IMEI sometimes. My phones IMEI is two numbers over the 15 number limit on their end. Have a rep unlock the device for you. You need to install a non-T-mobile sim for the unlock to work
    08-04-14 12:30 AM
    Go to the T-mobile store. T-mobile is an ***** and doesnt recognize IMEI sometimes. My phones IMEI is two numbers over the 15 number limit on their end. Have a rep unlock the device for you. You need to install a non-T-mobile sim for the unlock to work
    The email they sent me had the correct IMEI, though I guess that doesn't mean that they gave me the correct Unlock Code using it.

I still had the T-Mobile SIM in the Q10 when I did it. Was this the problem? Would just removing the SIM and entering the Unlock Code work as well, or do I need to put a non-T-Mobile SIM in the Q10 first?

Thanks for the quick response!
    08-04-14 12:39 AM
    I just discovered an IMEI digit length discrepancy:

If I use Settings->About->Category Hardware to see the IMEI, I get a 15 digit IMEI number, which matches the IMEI number listed under the battery.

If I dial *#06#, which I found on the T-Mobile webpage below, I get a Notification that gives at 17 digit IMEI number. The first 15 digits are exactly the same as above. There are two additional digits.

SIM card: BlackBerry Q10 | T-Mobile Support
    08-04-14 01:07 AM
    Yes there is that.

Might be better to let the reps at the store do if because if they screw anything up they can RMA it right there and give you another Q10 in the mail if early enough the next day or the day after that.
    08-04-14 11:22 AM
    Yes there is that.

Might be better to let the reps at the store do if because if they screw anything up they can RMA it right there and give you another Q10 in the mail if early enough the next day or the day after that.
    I'm kinda worried about doing this. The reps seem very unfamilar for BlackBerry's and I guess that they might just enter the Unlock Code over and over until it's completely locked. Since T-Mobile USA doesn't carry BlackBerry's anymore, I'd be worried about getting a replacement. However, I will resort to this if I can't get another Unlock Code that works. Thanks for the suggestion.
    08-04-14 11:57 AM
    If I use Settings->About->Category Hardware to see the IMEI, I get a 15 digit IMEI number, which matches the IMEI number listed under the battery.

If I dial *#06#, which I found on the T-Mobile webpage below, I get a Notification that gives at 17 digit IMEI number. The first 15 digits are exactly the same as above. There are two additional digits.

SIM card: BlackBerry Q10 | T-Mobile Support

Has anyone else seen this? If so, which is the proper IMEI number to get the Unlock Code? I tried the 15 digit one so far and the Unlock Code didn't work on my Q10, even though it did say "Network code entered successfully". I'll submit the 17 digit one next...

[I already have a thread about Network Unlock in Ask a Question, but I thought I might get more traction here.]
    08-04-14 12:09 PM
    I'm kinda worried about doing this. The reps seem very unfamilar for BlackBerry's and I guess that they might just enter the Unlock Code over and over until it's completely locked. Since T-Mobile USA doesn't carry BlackBerry's anymore, I'd be worried about getting a replacement. However, I will resort to this if I can't get another Unlock Code that works. Thanks for the suggestion.
    If your warranty is not up then they have to replace it with a same or similar model. Just have them do it. They will know if the code doesn't work its better to get them to document it

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 12:10 PM
    If your warranty is not up then they have to replace it with a same or similar model. Just have them do it. They will know if the code doesn't work its better to get them to document it
    My Q10 was purchased outright (Sprint-branded BlackBerry 9850->Q10) during the Trade-In program they had, so I don't have any warranty with them. If I do have a store do it, then I'll be sure to ask if they'll replace it if they mess up.
    08-04-14 12:17 PM
    The IMEI is always 15 digits. Well... really 14+checkdigit. If you have 17 digits you have IMEISV where the last two are Software Version - but they are meaningless for your phone's OS version.

If you want to check the checkdigit, google IMEI and read the wikipedia page. The calculation is simple.
    08-04-14 12:54 PM
    My Q10 was purchased outright (Sprint-branded BlackBerry 9850->Q10) during the Trade-In program they had, so I don't have any warranty with them. If I do have a store do it, then I'll be sure to ask if they'll replace it if they mess up.
    Your q10 is from sprint? Or you trades a spring 9859

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 01:25 PM
    The IMEI is always 15 digits. Well... really 14+checkdigit. If you have 17 digits you have IMEISV where the last two are Software Version - but they are meaningless for your phone's OS version.

If you want to check the checkdigit, google IMEI and read the wikipedia page. The calculation is simple.
    I recently finished Live Chat on T-Mobile's website. The rep said that their system only accepts 15 digits for the IMEI and suggested that I put in a non-T-Mobile SIM to test. From his system, the Q10 is unlocked. On my end, the Q10 still has the Unlock Network button, not "Network / Unlocked".

I did the check on the checkdigit and it's good. Thanks for the info!

Oh, should I have removed the SIM before typing in the Unlock Code? Or maybe have another carrier's SIM in there?
    08-04-14 01:51 PM
    Your q10 is from sprint? Or you trades a spring 9859
    T-Mobile USA accepted any BlackBerry as a trade-in for $200 off any phone ($250 off if you're getting another BlackBerry). I traded in a Sprint-branded 9850 for a T-Mobile-branded Q10 and got $250 off.

I did Live Chat on T-Mobile's site. Their system only accepts 15 digit IMEI's for Unlock Codes, so the first try with them was correct. Their system also thinks my Q10 is unlocked. The rep suggested trying a non-T-Mobile SIM at one of their stores, oddly enough. Kinda interesting that they would have other carrier's SIM's on hand.
    08-04-14 02:01 PM
    T-Mobile USA accepted any BlackBerry as a trade-in for $200 off any phone ($250 off if you're getting another BlackBerry). I traded in a Sprint-branded 9850 for a T-Mobile-branded Q10 and got $250 off.

I did Live Chat on T-Mobile's site. Their system only accepts 15 digit IMEI's for Unlock Codes, so the first try with them was correct. Their system also thinks my Q10 is unlocked. The rep suggested trying a non-T-Mobile SIM at one of their stores, oddly enough. Kinda interesting that they would have other carrier's SIM's on hand.
    From people who traded in their devices maybe. The system think my Z10 is unlocked and in fact also has a different IMEI on file than my Z10s which is not unlocked

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 02:09 PM
    From people who traded in their devices maybe. The system think my Z10 is unlocked and in fact also has a different IMEI on file than my Z10s which is not unlocked
    The rep asked for my Q10's IMEI and it's the same as what they have. I guess I'll need to try another carrier's SIM next...
    08-04-14 02:49 PM
    The rep asked for my Q10's IMEI and it's the same as what they have. I guess I'll need to try another carrier's SIM next...
    Yeah, well actually that is what you are supposed to do to unlock it is to put another carrier sim in it. A rep at a physical store should do it in case they did actually send you a wrong code

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 10:40 PM
    I recently finished Live Chat on T-Mobile's website. The rep said that their system only accepts 15 digits for the IMEI and suggested that I put in a non-T-Mobile SIM to test. From his system, the Q10 is unlocked. On my end, the Q10 still has the Unlock Network button, not "Network / Unlocked".

I did the check on the checkdigit and it's good. Thanks for the info!

Oh, should I have removed the SIM before typing in the Unlock Code? Or maybe have another carrier's SIM in there?
    have another carrier's SIM in there
    08-05-14 12:39 AM
    Yeah, well actually that is what you are supposed to do to unlock it is to put another carrier sim in it. A rep at a physical store should do it in case they did actually send you a wrong code
    I actually started the whole process at a store and they told me to go online to obtain the Unlock Code. I guess they should have said I needed to come back to them to do the unlock with a non-T-Mobile SIM they might have.
    08-05-14 03:26 AM
    have another carrier's SIM in there
    I've watched a few videos on how to network unlock and only one of them actually says to insert another carrier's SIM. All the others skip that part and just show the new "Network / Unlocked" message. It seems to be a pretty crucial step to omit!
    Last edited by cbvinh; 08-05-14 at 04:59 PM.
    08-05-14 03:36 AM
    I suspect the process will work fine if the Unlock interface is accessible, but in some phones a foreign SIM is needed to provoke the interface into revealing itself easily.
    08-05-14 04:02 AM

This has come up a lot. Some people have reported being unable to purchase a correct unlock code unless they have submitted all 17 digits . My guess, however, is that the unlock code supplier may have messed up the first time around. Just a guess though.
    08-05-14 04:02 AM
    My guess, however, is that the unlock code supplier may have messed up the first time around. Just a guess though.
    There are several different types of lock (network, SIM, SIM provider, etc... I forget the full list but at least 2 types refer indirectly to "network" ) which can be set singly or in combination. My guess is that only one of multiple locks has been released. However the code provided was accepted so it seems to be valid. Best bet for the OP is to refer it back to T-Mo without more attempts which might trigger the hard lock after 10 incorrect entries.
    08-05-14 09:03 AM
    There are several different types of lock (network, SIM, SIM provider, etc... I forget the full list but at least 2 types refer indirectly to "network" ) which can be set singly or in combination. My guess is that only one of multiple locks has been released. However the code provided was accepted so it seems to be valid. Best bet for the OP is to refer it back to T-Mo without more attempts which might trigger the hard lock after 10 incorrect entries.
    When you add Android in to the mix you also can get a boot loader lock, which even further complicates things! And iphones have an extra layer too that must be "jailbroken" which is also totally different from any kind of network or SIM locks. Yes its very confusing and complicated, and BBs especially older ones are actually the easiest to unlock and use on other networks!
    08-05-14 10:41 AM
    I think you're talking about the MEP2 and MEP4 locks. The one that's uncommon--I think it's the MEP2, but whichever it is--TMO doesn't do.

For the process of unlocking, is not having a SIM in the same as using a different carrier's SIM?
    08-05-14 12:51 PM
    I think you're talking about the MEP2 and MEP4 locks. The one that's uncommon--I think it's the MEP2, but whichever it is--TMO doesn't do.

For the process of unlocking, is not having a SIM in the same as using a different carrier's SIM?
    Yup, that's the designation. There's a whole series and they all lock different things. From memory MEP2 is the common one so maybe MEP4 is the one TMo tends to use.

I've not had to unlock many phones so not fully up to speed on which SIM/no SIM, but from memory the last one I cleared was a 9700 which still had its regular SIM. In fact it has never seen any other SIM, I didn't need to break it out after all.
    08-05-14 05:48 PM
61 123