So I got myself a Storm 9500 from Vodafone, purchased it on Ebay.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with information related to unlocking the phone. Currently I have a Bold on the Rogers network (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) with a data plan, I am about 2 months into the 3 year contract so canceling is really not an option.

I was wondering is it possible to unlock the Storm so I can use my DATA plan on it as well and use the 3G network ? (Internet, Email etc.)

I've been reading about it and I am a little confused about the issue. Because some people say it will work, others say I will only be able to make calls with no data because of the network frequencies.

If anyone could clear up the info for me I would be really greatful.

And if it is possible to get it fully unlocked with data, can you recommend a good website or should I just call RIM ?
    12-09-08 05:22 PM
    Me too needs info's on this matter !

Any help ?
    12-11-08 06:04 PM
    me 2 on this matter.....any help?
    12-19-08 06:15 PM
    It'll work fine on EDGE (no 3g speeds)
    12-19-08 06:21 PM
    I've talked to a few people on Rogers who have just unlocked it and put in there SIM and thats it. I've been watching it closely in case I needed to make service books like for the Storm on T-mo and At&t. Apparently Rogers has the needed books. My theory is RIM probably does some testing on Rogers because they always seem to have the needed network support. If needed I'll make it work, but as of now it appears unnecessary.
    12-19-08 06:23 PM
    It'll work fine on EDGE (no 3g speeds)
    And thats correct you will never get 3g. Thats a hardware difference.
    12-19-08 06:25 PM
    You need to check out Pltaylors sticky's and find yourself some generic Rogers service books.
    12-19-08 06:28 PM
    I've heard of not being able to use data when using the Storm on different carriers. Would that be the case with using an unlocked Vodafone Storm on Rogers? It's not such a big issue for me to not have 3G, but I need the data to even deem it worthwhile. So if data is possible, could anyone tell me how or where to find a way to unlock the Vodafone onto Rogers.

Thanks
    12-23-08 10:17 AM
    depends on where u get ur 9500 from. I got mine, and it's already unlocked. So pratically I can use it on any network, and that's just what I'm doing.
    12-23-08 10:32 AM
    well if I were to get it from vodafone, and go through the unlocking (I havent looked into how to do that yet) it would then work just fine? data and all?
    12-23-08 03:33 PM
    hey i just unlocked a storm 9530 by going on ebay amd buying a unlock code for 18 dollars. good luck
    01-03-10 08:19 AM
    It will work just not on their 3G network just on their EDGE.
    01-03-10 11:55 AM
    well if I were to get it from vodafone, and go through the unlocking (I havent looked into how to do that yet) it would then work just fine? data and all?
    Yes it will work, we can help you unlock it.
    01-03-10 02:08 PM
    Sorry to revive this old thread.

About the 3g possibilties of this phone

My friend owns a vodafone 9500 storm unlocked and currently on Rogers Canada with edge data.

At the moment I type this, my friend is in Italy and purchased a sim card for 10 euros including 250mb/week. He says his phone is on a 3g network and never saw his phone pull data off the net this fast.

If 3g is possible in europe on this phone, why is it not so here?

I finally ditched my storm (yeah got one too) and got myself an Atrix running on Bell in Canada on their 3g+ (here again why not 4g?) and finally got workability on a phone.

never a Berry again...

Thanks for any info...
    08-07-11 06:55 PM
    Yes it's possible in Europe because they operate on a different 3G band.
    08-07-11 07:24 PM
    agree with cellunlocknet....
    08-08-11 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD