I know I am about to ask the most silliest questions in the world of Blackberry but here they are:

1. Was does unlocking a phone do? Who locks the phone and were would you get a locked phone for there to be a need to unlock it?

2. Can you buy any blackberry and have it work with your carrier? Or is this what unlocking means?

3. I know that some like Verizon use CDMDA (however its spelled) versus a sim card, would I have to make sure that the Blackberry that I get (bold or thunder) be compatible in terms of these features and how can I tell?

4. If theoretically, I get my hands on a Bold, and switch BBs so as to have 2 bbs on my account, would I have to purchase a data plan or they can share data plans as they share minutes?

I am asking because I may be offered a "hot" (no questions asked) phone and I want to make sure that I can make it work once I get it and what to look for in terms of the compatibility with my carrier Verizon.

I look forward to hearing anything you guys have to say about these silly questions.
    07-15-08 12:27 PM
    If the "HOT" phone has been reported to the carrier as missng and/or stolen....the carrier will disable the device on their end and render it useless.......

I would personally find it difficult to sponsor theft of devices..........just not my personal cup of tea.........but Good Luck.......
    07-15-08 01:32 PM
    By HOT I mean, the phone was stolen from inventory. Not that it was found in the street and reported lost.
    Last edited by Morenina; 07-15-08 at 01:43 PM.
    07-15-08 01:34 PM
    If the phone is reported missing, then the S/N will be disable and make it useless. It still remains HOT!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 01:40 PM
    Oh, so you're merely referring to a felony - receiving stolen property?

Yeah - no thanks.

Good luck. Don't drop the soap.
    07-15-08 01:41 PM
    Ok, lets forget about the crime and lets focus on the questions.

I need to know what unlocking means and why its done.
    07-15-08 01:44 PM
    Go to BB FAQ, there you'll find what is Unlocking, and how to Unlock your phone.

07-15-08 01:51 PM
    I just want to know what it means, not how to unlock it. What would cause for a phone to lock for there to be a need to unlock it.
    07-15-08 01:53 PM
    from what i understand, when u unlock a phone, it becomes usable on multiple networks. (ie, buy a new bold on the rogers network in canada and bring it and use it in the us on a us network) i think there are threads on here abt unlock codes somewhere. i dunno if a sim card phone can be used on a non sim card network, and visa versa. i realize i'm not much help! but since nobody else is helping at all, i thought i would offer what i do know.
    07-15-08 01:56 PM
    Ummm Wow.....
    07-15-08 01:56 PM
    Makes it possible to use it on any GSM carrier network.
    If you wanted to change carriers, but not phone, it's helpful.

Also when traveling you can swap out your SIM card with
    a SIM card in your destination and avoid international roaming
    charges.

And lastly, It can increase the resale value and widen your
    pool of potential buyers.
    07-15-08 01:58 PM
    Ummm Wow.....
    my sentiments exactly
    07-15-08 01:58 PM
    thanks, I finally found some kind of definition.

I read something about only being done on phones that use sim cards in order for it to be used by putting someone else's sim card into it.

So sad, won't work for me because Verizon does not use sim cards.
    07-15-08 01:59 PM
    Makes it possible to use it on any GSM carrier network.
    If you wanted to change carriers, but not phone, it's helpful.

Also when traveling you can swap out your SIM card with
    a SIM card in your destination and avoid international roaming
    charges.

And lastly, It can increase the resale value and widen your
    pool of potential buyers.
    Thanks, concise and to the point, thanks.
    07-15-08 02:00 PM
    Anyone dumb enough to ask for help after admitting that they "theoretically" maybe getting a "hot" phone shouldn't be using a Blackberry......
    07-15-08 02:03 PM
    Anyone dumb enough to ask for help after admitting that they "theoretically" maybe getting a "hot" phone shouldn't be using a Blackberry......
    Asking questions about getting a second berry is now a crime? this is crackberry, if I have a question, whom better to ask?

what does it matter how you get it? am I asking you for one?

They are questions and if you cannot add on useful information, perhaps simply not replying is the solution, skip the next thread and pretend you never read it.

I didn't specifically ask you if I was worth getting a second berry or what makes anyone worth buying a berry, so keep personal feelings out of this.
    Last edited by Morenina; 07-15-08 at 02:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add quote
    07-15-08 02:08 PM
    Morenina, just let it go. It truly ain't worth the aggravation.
    Trust me
    07-15-08 02:10 PM
    Trust me
    understood
    07-15-08 02:16 PM
    how about you post your address and the address of the person stealing you the phone so I can call the police and give them notice.

BTW if you are planning in advance with whoever is stealing the phone that makes you in more trouble then just recieving stolen property.
    07-15-08 02:27 PM
    So how exactly did you come to the conclusion that this was a good idea?

Once the stores loss prevention team finds a missing phone (and they will) its just a matter of time til they run down its serial number, which will then be attached to your name, at least you're making it easy on them. If you're very lucky, they'll just shut down the phone and lock out your account, otherwise they'll investigate and maybe find this thread. Good luck, and perhaps learn how to use Google for your own safety.
    07-15-08 02:30 PM
    how about you post your address and the address of the person stealing you the phone so I can call the police and give them notice.

BTW if you are planning in advance with whoever is stealing the phone that makes you in more trouble then just recieving stolen property.
    LOL, I never said I was going to get one. I said, I might be offered one. Verizon has not released Bold yet so what exactly is your concern? You think I have a hook up or something?

Some of you can be such a prude. Again, for clarification, I NEVER STATED THAT I'M GOING TO RECEIVE A STOLEN PHONE OR THAT I AM ARRANGING TO RECEIVE A STOLEN PHONE.

I said I might be offered one, READ!!!
    07-15-08 02:39 PM
    Trust me
    understood
    Seriously, let it go....
    07-15-08 02:41 PM
    I agree, let it go.

07-15-08 03:08 PM
    I agree, let it go.

its 4:10pm, I haven't posted anything since 3:39pm, I think I let it go already.
    07-15-08 03:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD