Hello!

I live in Canada and Bell just released their new HSPA network. They're offering BlackBerry Bold 9000s at $599. However, they've been out for a while on ATT now and unlocked versions are not near as expensive ($300 - $400). What I'm wondering is #1) Will this work #2) Will the BBOS still be AT&T? What if there's an OS update or I want to wipe the device do I have to unlock the device every time? Is the unlock code the same each time? Can I just install my Carriers OS on it?

Basically, what kind of responsibilities come with an unlocked device, ha.

thanks!
    12-19-09 10:22 PM
    I would assume that an ATT Bold would work with Bell, since they are using the same phone type that Rogers has been using all this time.

In regards to the OS, the OS will be different but once you send the service books from your phone, they will be updated with whatever versions Bell has. In regards to OS updates, you don't have to worry about this since the carriers almost never release updates. I've had my Bold for over a year now and not once was there ever a update, even when I used the "wireless update" feature from my phone. Most people tend to just look out for the leaked and latest OS and install those on their phones.

In regards to the unlock code, it would always be the same because the code is in relation to the IMEI number of the phone which doesn't ever change.
    12-19-09 11:12 PM
    You shouldn't have any issues at all. Regarding the phone unlock that is permanent. OS upgrades or wipes will not remove this.
    12-19-09 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD