for what it's worth, here's my story:

wanted my old 8900 unlocked to use for trips abroad. while in australia, went to the telstra store and picked up a $2 sim which i promptly loaded. when i tried using the phone, i received a pop up indicating the need for the unlock code. i contacted at&t, obtained the code and, with the telstra sim installed, was able to unlock my phone. the phone ended up working perfectly.

the prepaid package i purchased allowed for 200mb of data. in order to make use of this, i had to find the telstra data portal settings, then manually enter that information in the tcp ip setting (see advanced options). i was able to access email, yahoo and a number of other services. i was also able to access and update downloads from bb app world. i was, however, not able to access facebook or twitter.

in all, a far more simple process than i had come to believe. and, the access to data was both unexpected and not at all expensive. forgive me if this is old news but wanted to share.
    01-30-11 01:05 PM
    Ahhh yes, the power of unlocking...
    01-30-11 04:51 PM
    A lot of the time AT&T are pretty tight with releasing codes.
    01-30-11 07:38 PM
    A lot of the time AT&T are pretty tight with releasing codes.
    to be sure, getting the unlock code from at&t wasn't as easy as i'd have liked. i tried getting the code via email to their support desk. three times, in very short order; 3 requests for imei. the second actually asked for more detailed info on the when's, where's and how's of the device purchase.

when i finally called, getting the code took 3 minutes, tops. the rep i spoke with wanted to remain on the phone with me until the device was unlocked. as it turned out, this would have been counter productive. she insisted i use the sim from my torch. i was able to unlock the device with the telstra sim. in fact, that is part of the rational behind posting.
    01-30-11 09:00 PM
    Great to here!
    01-30-11 09:13 PM
    getting unlock code from phone support is better than email support.
    01-31-11 09:21 AM
    getting a unlock code from your carrier depends who you speak to and also what you say. If you call global support and tell them your going overseas your more likely to get it than if you just call at&t and say you want to unlock your phone. They especially will be stickler's if you just say you want to unlock the phone for a different network here in the U.S. or wherever your from
    02-03-11 12:55 PM
    getting a unlock code from your carrier depends who you speak to and also what you say. If you call global support and tell them your going overseas your more likely to get it than if you just call at&t and say you want to unlock your phone. They especially will be stickler's if you just say you want to unlock the phone for a different network here in the U.S. or wherever your from
    exactly................
    02-03-11 01:42 PM
    Yes always depends on the CS you get...some are a breeze and some will be arrogant when you ask for the code.

Glad to hear you're unlocked.
    02-06-11 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD