I bought an unlocked storm back in mid may this year. I'm now selling the phone and wiped my handheld. Now the phone won't connect to any calls. It gives that message saying it needs to be activated under telus. Does anyone know what happened?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 10:06 PM
    That's really strange. My understanding is that once you unlock the phone, it is permanently unlocked.

Have you tried calling the person who sold it to you or calling Telus about the issue yet?
    09-22-09 11:09 PM
    That's weird same thing fydave stated I was told from a verizon rep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 11:28 PM
    the whole story behind this is kind of complicated. I bought this phone unlocked, original carrier verizon. I bought it for my gf who's carrier is bell. thinking I could get it to work under Bell if the phone was unlocked I just went ahead and bought it. I tested to see if it was unlocked myself with my Rogers SIM card. It worked fine, calls, txt, internet. When we realized that we would not be able to use it under Bell, it was pretty much just used by my gf to take a few pictures and play wordmole. Well now I've taken the initiative to Sell the phone and get her a proper Bell Storm. I post a for sale thread online, someone wants to buy it. When we meet up he puts his Rogers SIM inside and tries to call it. No go. Then he tries to call from the Storm, and gets a message (from telus) saying something along the lines of to be able to use the phone, I'd have to subscribe to telus. Yes weird I don't know why a telus message appeared when it was originally locked to Verizon.

So that's the backstory. Very frustrated right now. What should have been a easy sale turns into confusion. Someone please help!!!!
    09-22-09 11:34 PM
    The main reason the storm says "Activation Required" is that there is no phone number programmed with it currently. Being that the Storm is CDMA technology it needs to be programmed in order to remove that message permanently unless you re-wipe the handheld again. The phone will still work even if it says that, just seems kinda annoying otherwise.
    Last edited by kuosheng89; 09-22-09 at 11:40 PM.
    09-22-09 11:35 PM
    Sorry if it has to be programmed OTA via with an active line with the carrier. That seems strange by the looks of things cause verizon is partnered with Telus in Canada to bring verizon customers service. You will have to find a way to program it possibly by making it a prepaid or some other method to find a way to program it OTA.
    09-22-09 11:37 PM
    Did you change your phone to GSM mode in the network setting? It probably reset to the default CDMA mode.
    09-22-09 11:40 PM
    That is true. You might have to change the Network setwork technology option to GSM. This can be found by Options > Mobile Network > Network Technology. Make sure GSM is selected. Thank you expressunlockcode. It is almost impossible for a phone to relock itself.
    09-22-09 11:47 PM
    Did you change your phone to GSM mode in the network setting? It probably reset to the default CDMA mode.
    Wow, I feel like a total noob to technology! Yup that did the trick right there! LOL.

Thanks a lot to everyone for all the quick responses though, you were all great help!

Man I feel like an fool.
    09-23-09 12:07 AM
    Oh and yes, that's what I was initially confused about. How could a phone lock itself on it's own. If it actually happened it wouldn't be worth unlocking phones unless you yourself knew how to do it and didn't mind having to re-unlock the phone over and over again.
    09-23-09 12:10 AM
    Oh I'm glad to hear that your problem was fixed. I would've been really surprised if the phone did indeed magically relock itself because that would've gone against everything I've read, heard, and learned about unlocked Storm's so far.
    09-23-09 02:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD