Hi there

I just got my Blackberry Bold 9780 last night and the 'lock/unlock' button on the top left doesn't work at all. It feels somewhat sticky - the mute key on the right side makes a clicky sound when pressed down whereas the lock button just presses in without making any contact. I understand that you can set a password but that is rather inconvenient as you have to wait 1 minute for it to lock and every time I want to use the phone I have to type in a code.
    I can lock the phone by holding down A/* but then there is no way of unlocking it again. Thank goodness the phone came with the holster because that seems to unlock it for me - but this is obviously less than ideal.

What can I do? Is there a shortcut to unlocking like on the Curve 8520 (a/* and the call button)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    02-24-11 12:17 AM
    this might be a hardware issue....
    try installing new OS and see if it's rectified, if not take it for replacement.
    02-24-11 12:43 AM
    Thanks infinus for your quick response. I checked to whether there were any available updates but it says 'Your Blackberry is up to date' - my current version is 6.0 Bundle 863.

Is there really no shortcut for unlocking? Like a/* and call button?
    02-24-11 01:25 AM
    Thanks infinus for your quick response. I checked to whether there were any available updates but it says 'Your Blackberry is up to date' - my current version is 6.0 Bundle 863.

Is there really no shortcut for unlocking? Like a/* and call button?
    don't be sad...........
    you can manually install OS.
    visit this POST, and install OS....
    remember..if you feel it's a real problem...then ask your dealer for replacement....don't comprise on hard earned money...
    02-24-11 01:35 AM
    Thanks infinus - you're too right!
    Excuse my dumbness for a moment, how do I get those onto my phone? And are they safe? Oh and which one should I get? There are quite a few...
    Also, is the 'lock' button supposed to be somewhat sticky or does yours actually 'click' when pressed?
    02-24-11 01:41 AM
    All you have to do is download the .exe, install it to the PC and follow this guide:

How to Upgrade Your BlackBerry's OS Using App Loader
    02-24-11 08:29 AM
    Thanks diegonei, unfortunately none of those links work - the content has been removed. Am I the only with this problem? Is your button 'sticky' or does it 'click' when pressed?
    02-24-11 11:54 AM
    Well the software update didn't work - I'm still stuck with a non-functioning lock button
    Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!
    02-24-11 01:16 PM
    Oh, I'm sorry, we didn't realise it was a hardware problem...

Best take it back and have it replaced.
    02-24-11 02:09 PM
    Maybe the the button (the cover of the phone) is wedged against the bezel, which doesn't give the cover the ability to flex and press the hardware button underneath. Take a look at it, maybe something is stuck in there or you just need to give it a bit of slack.
    02-27-11 11:38 AM
    i was reading and some my 9780 unlocked itself and now its not locking help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    04-12-11 12:09 AM
    It is a hardware issue it has to be replaced

Unfortunately using OS 6, you cant use shortcut in OS 5 you can use a shortcut

So your phone needs to be replaced
    04-12-11 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD