I currently have VZW with my Storm and will be traveling internationally (Turks & Caicos) in the next few weeks and have a few questions about how exactly unlocking and buying an international SIM card works..

From what I have read you simply need to call Verizon and ask them for your phones unlock code, then when you arrive at your destination you can find a place to buy a local SIM card (airport, gift shops, etc.) with good international rates and I assume put more money on it when you need to.

This all seems pretty simple to me, which leads me to believe that I am missing something. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks much!
    01-26-10 07:13 AM
    I don't know about those locations but what I did with my 8830 when I went to Europe last summer was call to get unlocked. I did not use a foreign sim card but used Verizon's Global plan for data which reduces phonecall costs.

I understand finding DATA on the foreign sim cards can be difficult. But the phonecall aspects are not that problematic.
    01-26-10 08:55 AM
    Calling or emailing Verizon is all you need to do to get
    the unlock code. Only thing, which is what I was told, is that you would need to have it for 60 days before they would release the unlock code. Hope that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 09:15 AM
    They will unlock your phone if you meet these requirements:
    You have had your service for 60 days or more.
    The device in question is active on the line.
    You are not past due.
    And you can only have it unlocked once in a ten month period per line. So if you buy a new phone, you would have to wait. That excludes replacement phones though; you can have that unlocked again with no time restraint.
    01-26-10 09:26 AM
    If you meet the criteria that supermario28 posted, call 1-888-844-0395. Just tell them that you're going overseas and would like to use a prepaid sim card. They'll go over disclaimers about how they won't be able to support your device while your there if you use another sim card, blah blah blah. I unlocked my storm a couple weeks ago and it took about 5min.
    01-26-10 01:13 PM
    With a local SIM you wont get data, unless you can find a prepaid BB SIM with data. You will then need those carriers service books and need Verizon to release your device so that you can use the local carriers BIS. So in other words, use the Verizon SIM if data/email is needed while abroad, otherwise just use a local SIM for strictly voice and SMS.
    01-26-10 02:30 PM
    While it may sound too good to be true..its actually not lol

Call Verizon, as long as you meet the requirements above then they should provide you with the code for free and even walk you through the process! Some CSRs will actually give you the code even if you don't fit the criteria, but thats more of a possibility than a guarantee

When you get to wherever you're trying to get to, stop off at a phone shop, grab a sim, pop it in and you're good to go. You may have to switch your phone over to GSM and 2G depending on where you are.

And if Verizon doesn't provide you with the code, there are plenty of us 3rd party unlockers on Crackberry.com that can help you out!

Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy the trip!
    01-26-10 08:39 PM
    While it may sound too good to be true..its actually not lol

Call Verizon, as long as you meet the requirements above then they should provide you with the code for free and even walk you through the process! Some CSRs will actually give you the code even if you don't fit the criteria, but thats more of a possibility than a guarantee

When you get to wherever you're trying to get to, stop off at a phone shop, grab a sim, pop it in and you're good to go. You may have to switch your phone over to GSM and 2G depending on where you are.

And if Verizon doesn't provide you with the code, there are plenty of us 3rd party unlockers on Crackberry.com that can help you out!

Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy the trip!
    Hey, if you don't mind my asking.... Since you are an UNlocker by profession, what do you know about finding foreign Sim cards that work with DATA as well as the phone? Any special requirements if one can even be found? Thanks in advance.
    01-26-10 10:49 PM
    Thanks everyone for the feed back - I emailed VZW and sure enough they sent my unlock code in a few hours. Seems like a much better alternative to buying a calling card, and I will have my laptop for web and e-mail so no issues there.
    01-26-10 11:40 PM
    I'm not sure about the specific carriers and plans where you're visiting, but your best bet would be just to stop into a cellphone store and see what they have to offer. If you need data while you're away then I'm sure atleast one of the providers would be able to offer it to you.
    01-27-10 05:34 AM
    Moving to BB Unlocking
    01-27-10 08:52 AM
    Do any US carriers offer pre-paid data + voice sim cards?
    03-04-10 11:01 AM
    Both T-Mobile and AT&T do, but I believe T-Mobile is the only one that offers BIS pre-paid service.
    03-04-10 11:10 AM
    Both T-Mobile and AT&T do, but I believe T-Mobile is the only one that offers BIS pre-paid service.
    thanks for the info.
    03-04-10 11:13 AM
    Yes T-Mobile does.
    03-04-10 09:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD