Hello, i am new to this forum and have a few questions

i have recently went to my local att store to look up possible upgrades when i realized that pretty much any decent phone requires that you have a 30$ data plan to use the phone, i then grew very fond of the blackberry curve 8520 (i beleive thats the model)

Now, i dont really have any need for the data plan, or the money to spend on it at the moment so my question is, would buying a unlocked Blackberry off of ebay or something simiar allow me to put my current simcard in and not have to carry the data plan?

and if i were to want data, i dont use email so id rather use their 10$ a month unlimited data for non smart phones and just not use things that go through BB servers

is what im trying to do possible?
    what are some tips?
    and last of all thank you for your time
    Last edited by iQuallzey; 01-22-10 at 04:20 PM.
    01-22-10 04:17 PM
    What you are asking about is no longer possible.

From the Plan Terms: "Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee." (Bold emphasis is mine.)
    01-22-10 04:22 PM
    ok so they will beable to tell im using bb?
    01-22-10 04:32 PM
    Yes they will, their systems are designed to tell the difference. Once you use a device on their network the system records the imei.
    01-22-10 08:37 PM
    so is there no way around using a smartphone without buying the intenet?

my current phone is "grandfathered in"
    01-22-10 10:55 PM
    I'm not sure about AT&T's new policies, but if you purchase a Blackberry on Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell etc, then you don't need a data plan to just use the phone for calls and texts. In my opinion, that defeats the point of having a Blackberry as the data is what they're best known for - push e-mails etc.
    01-22-10 11:04 PM
    Nowadays not really. Its what they are designed for. If you need a testing device or organizer then its a palm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 11:23 PM
    All phones use different amounts of data packets which is how att can tell the difference. Does it find it right away always? No depends where you fall in their routine sweeps.

01-23-10 12:06 AM
    so is there anyway to simply call and say, i dont want to be charged for the internet, seeing as i have no use for it

if i am i will leave for another provider

think thatll work?

I'm not sure about AT&T's new policies, but if you purchase a Blackberry on Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell etc, then you don't need a data plan to just use the phone for calls and texts. In my opinion, that defeats the point of having a Blackberry as the data is what they're best known for - push e-mails etc.
    well i have wifi almost everywhere i go, which is faster, and free

if i can do this anyway

i mostly want the phone for a nice keyboard, nice solid product, good organization apps, etc
    Last edited by iQuallzey; 01-23-10 at 12:13 AM.
    01-23-10 12:11 AM
    Smartphones consumes bigger chunks of data when on the internet and non smartphones do not. This will raise flags and cause them to make sure correct device with the correct plans are being used.

01-23-10 12:14 AM
    Eventually they can.

Will they add something you didn't request no.

01-23-10 12:23 AM
    I don't know if they do find out and tack on a data plan if you would be able to call and say, "I never ordered that." Maybe someone else on here can tell us.
    Probably not, since the terms of service are provided.
    01-23-10 12:24 AM
    what lonewolf said is exactly what iv been wondering this whole time :tup:
    01-23-10 12:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD