I received the unlock code from the CB contest. If I am not leaving the country, what advantage to using this code is there?

BTW I have been toying around with the iPhone 3GS and I am now using the Tour/iPod Touch combo. I only get about 10 emails a day and AT&T coverage is decent in my area (besides an iPod Touch is just as expensive as an iPhone). I wish I could afford both!
    12-16-09 07:22 PM
    The advantage is using the phone on any GSM network. The disadvantage is only having EDGE capability.
    12-16-09 07:32 PM
    The advantage is using the phone on any GSM network. The disadvantage is only having EDGE capability.
    Exactly. With a an AT&T or T MO pre paid SIM in an unlocked Tour you could get service in an area where Verizon doesn't provide coverage.

Example:
    There is an area west of San Antonio that is popular with tourists (Garner State Park, Leakey) and we like to vacation there. I never get service in that area but my family members with AT&T and T Mobile do. Next time I go there I will have service with a pre paid SIM.
    12-16-09 09:46 PM
    I never understood what the unlock thing means. Thanks for the explanation. If I am temporarily in an area where Verizon does not have good coverage, can I buy GSM coverage through Verizon? How about data?
    12-16-09 10:19 PM
    So say I ran out of minutes with my verizon plan, I can buy a at&t or tmobile prepaid sim card and just use that till I get new minutes in my verizon plan with an unlock code?
    12-16-09 10:21 PM
    with a different number and you would have to switch to use mms, internet, sms, etc if you didnt want them to go against your prepay, and at that rate you might as well just raise your plan.
    12-16-09 10:38 PM
    Well I was only concerned about the minutes...I would switch off from gsm to verizon in order to use txt and data...so ur telling me I can't get a prepaid sim and just use it for minutes?
    12-16-09 11:19 PM
    Yes you can .....
    12-16-09 11:41 PM
    Cool..so what about when I would transfer to the prepaid sim card, would that change my outgoing number? (Newb question I know but, how do u go about getting a prepaid sim card? Say from AT&T?
    12-17-09 01:33 AM
    Outgoing or ingoing number actually(if that's even a word)?
    12-17-09 10:58 AM
    yes your number will be different on the prepay
    12-17-09 12:20 PM
    So where can i get a prepaid sim card...just go into the at&t store/tmobile/walmart?
    12-18-09 08:09 PM
    Best Buy sells prepaid T-Mobile BlackBerry/Voice/SMS SIMs. I believe it's $70/month for 300 minutes, unlimited BlackBerry Data and maybe some texting too. The nice thing about that is, you can unlock your phone, pop in the SIM and not activate it until you actually NEED it. Kind of like insurance.
    12-18-09 09:33 PM
    Yeah I won one as well except my phone was already unlocked. Cool that it was unlocked but kind of sucks because I didn't get to use my prize. Oh well, whatever I love having it unlocked.
    12-18-09 09:42 PM
    Yeah I won one as well except my phone was already unlocked. Cool that it was unlocked but kind of sucks because I didn't get to use my prize. Oh well, whatever I love having it unlocked.
    Then why did you enter in the first place? You prevented someone else from winning. You should do the right thing and donate it in the Pay It Forward thread.
    12-18-09 10:08 PM
    I didn't know that it was unlocked until they emailed the code used to see if it is unlocked already and there is no way to donate anything because once they found out it was unlocked they didn't send me anything. There was no point.
    12-18-09 10:32 PM
    lol, so they reneged on your prize?? wtf
    12-18-09 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD