01-24-11 06:17 PM
36 12
tools
    Nope. Once a BlackBerry is unlocked, it stays unlocked and cannot be "relocked". Why would you want to?
    01-22-11 11:05 AM
    Hmm how did you find that T-Mobile plan? I've been looking around on their site for several minutes and can't find it listed anywhere.

So I have to call my provider and get them to remove my phone from my account? My Blackberry is the only service I have with my provider so I'm essentially cancelling my account?

This is a lot more complex then I thought. If I had know it was so difficult to get an unlocked BlackBerry to work in a different country I just would never have bothered unlocking it. I figured it would be like my friednds who have non-BlackBerry smartphones and can just pop in any SIM with data and everything works.
    I'm with you on this one, John. This seems to be a whole lot of trouble (and money) for something that should be as easy as you say. Frankly, I'm disappointed. I should've done my homework before proceeding with the unlocking. I've learned my lesson.
    01-22-11 11:09 AM
    Nope. Once a BlackBerry is unlocked, it stays unlocked and cannot be "relocked". Why would you want to?
    Do you not void the carrier "warranty" if you unlock your phone? I've not had mine a year yet.
    01-22-11 11:11 AM
    Nope. Unlocking does not void the warranty. Unlocking doesn't "hurt" anything.

If you are on Verizon and are going to be traveling outside the US with your BlackBerry, you can contact the Global Support on Verizon and see what the options are. Might be more simple for your situation that going with a local SIM card.

Global Travel Program
    01-22-11 11:32 AM
    Nope. Unlocking does not void the warranty. Unlocking doesn't "hurt" anything.

If you are on Verizon and are going to be traveling outside the US with your BlackBerry, you can contact the Global Support on Verizon and see what the options are. Might be more simple for your situation that going with a local SIM card.

Global Travel Program
    Thanks. I guess I had heard somewhere that if you altered your phone in certain ways, that it would void the warranty. I assumed this was one of those ways.
    01-22-11 11:44 AM
    Nope. And Verizon would have likely given you the unlock code for free.
    01-22-11 12:39 PM
    Nope. And Verizon would have likely given you the unlock code for free.
    I won the code on a Crackberry contest, actually. So I'm not out any money, just some frustration.
    01-22-11 12:45 PM
    I guess I don't get it...if you didn't pay for the code, why so frustrated? You're in the same boat as you were before, plus some benefits:

1) You can still use your original sim in your phone in another country and get charged high roaming charges from your original carrier
    2) You can still keep your phone on your original network instead of using it on another network in your home country
    3) NOW, you can sell the phone for more money if you ever want to
    4) NOW, you can switch the sim in another country if you ever travel
    5) NOW, you can switch carriers if you want to and keep your phone
    01-22-11 03:10 PM
    Yes, please help! I won an unlock code from CellUnlock, and I followed their instructions to unlock, but now I don't know what to do!! What's this about a SIM card? I thought once the phone was unlocked, it would just pick the strongest signal where I was and piggyback on that network.

I guess that's not how it works. Can someone enlighten us??
    I just went back and read this post.

No. Unlocking the device doesn't have anything to do with that.

"Unlocking" allows you to use the device on a different carrier with a SIM card using the GSM side of the device. Verizon uses the CDMA side of the device. Unlocking only effects the GSM side of the device.

So unlocking it and still being on Verizon would not affect you at all and would not allow it to "just pick up the strongest signal where" you were.

Smmrgrl
    , this is why you shouldn't hijack someone else's thread and should start your own. This post got lost among the OP's posts.
    01-22-11 04:03 PM
    Smmrgrl, this is why you shouldn't hijack someone else's thread and should start your own. This post got lost among the OP's posts.
    I didn't start my own because I've heard so many people complain about "this was already handled in this thread, why don't you go there"....

Guess I'm darned if I do and darned if I don't.

Going back to my hole now.
    01-24-11 01:01 PM
    No, it's fine. It's just that your post got lost. Otherwise, your specific issue might have been addressed as soon as you posted rather than for you to have to way a day or so later.
    01-24-11 06:17 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD