01-24-11 05:17 PM
36 12
tools
    I'm going to be travelling in the US and UK on business within the next few weeks. I'd like to bring my unlocked BlackBerry with my on the trip. How do I get it to work with a US and UK SIM card? Do I just buy a prepaid SIM card and pop it in and it'll start working? Is there anything I have to do first? Is there a place online where I can buy prepaid US and UK SIM cards?
    01-15-11 09:03 PM
    You can get prepaid SIM cards in the US. The major GSM carriers are TMobile and AT&T. If you want BlackBerry Data on the SIM, then your only option is TMobile. You can get the Even More Plus Plan. I believe the plans start at $60US per month.

Not completely sure about the UK but I believe that Orange offers BlackBerry Data on prepaid.

Note that with a different SIM card in the device, you will have a different phone number.
    01-16-11 07:06 AM
    Not too many carriers offer BIS on prepaid..
    01-16-11 11:11 AM
    Yes alot of providers do that now..
    01-16-11 02:14 PM
    Only issue will be constantly registering the PIN on the new networks.
    01-16-11 03:13 PM
    OK, so I buy a prepaid SIM card off of eBay. Is there anything I need to look for when buying the SIM? I've found a number of places that off "pre-activated" SIM cards. Do I just drop in the SIM, register my BlackBerry, and I'm ready to go? How do I register my BlackBerry?
    01-16-11 07:02 PM
    Yes alot of providers do that now..
    Name a couple...
    01-16-11 07:54 PM
    I have the same Questions as JohnEnglish - can I just buy a Tmobile sim and am ready to go once it's in?
    01-17-11 12:16 AM
    OK, so I buy a prepaid SIM card off of eBay. Is there anything I need to look for when buying the SIM? I've found a number of places that off "pre-activated" SIM cards. Do I just drop in the SIM, register my BlackBerry, and I'm ready to go? How do I register my BlackBerry?
    Can anyone help me out with this?
    01-18-11 11:04 AM
    Yes, please help! I won an unlock code from CellUnlock, and I followed their instructions to unlock, but now I don't know what to do!! What's this about a SIM card? I thought once the phone was unlocked, it would just pick the strongest signal where I was and piggyback on that network.

I guess that's not how it works. Can someone enlighten us??
    01-18-11 11:36 AM
    Yes, please help! I won an unlock code from CellUnlock, and I followed their instructions to unlock, but now I don't know what to do!! What's this about a SIM card? I thought once the phone was unlocked, it would just pick the strongest signal where I was and piggyback on that network.

I guess that's not how it works. Can someone enlighten us??
    Unlocking a phone allows you place another compatible carrier's sim card into the phone to get service.
    01-18-11 04:04 PM
    You need to give more information about what your requirements are.

Are you looking for BlackBerry Data or just voice?

Have you looked at the carrier websites for TMobile US and Orange UK so see the services they offer on Pre-Paid?

What parts are you unclear on?
    01-18-11 05:16 PM
    You need to give more information about what your requirements are.

Are you looking for BlackBerry Data or just voice?

Have you looked at the carrier websites for TMobile US and Orange UK so see the services they offer on Pre-Paid?

What parts are you unclear on?
    I need voice and BlackBerry data.

I've looked at different carrier sites but most just seem to offer data. From what I understand the BlackBerry data (BBM, BIS, etc) won't necessarily work with a "regular" data plan.

What I need to know is:

(1) Which carrier's pre-paid SIM should I buy so I can use voice and BlackVerry data?

(2)What do I need to do to register my phone on the network once I have put in the new SIM card?
    01-18-11 05:37 PM
    Bumping for assistance.
    01-19-11 09:33 PM
    I answered that.

1. If you want BlackBerry Data on the SIM, then your only option is TMobile. You can get the Even More Plus Plan. I believe the plans start at $60US per month.

2. Release your PIN from your current carrier and insert the new SIM card and register your PIN with the new carrier. With some carriers, the switch will occur automatically when you insert the SIM card.
    01-19-11 10:00 PM
    I answered that.

1. If you want BlackBerry Data on the SIM, then your only option is TMobile. You can get the Even More Plus Plan. I believe the plans start at $60US per month.

2. Release your PIN from your current carrier and insert the new SIM card and register your PIN with the new carrier. With some carriers, the switch will occur automatically when you insert the SIM card.
    1. From what I've read the Even More Plus Plan was cancelled last year. Only existing customers can still access it.

2. How do I release my PIN?
    01-19-11 11:32 PM
    1. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=fHDSWwib
    2. You would contact your current carrier/provider when you are ready to switch and have them remove the BlackBerry from your account.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 01-20-11 at 06:04 AM.
    01-20-11 06:02 AM
    Hmm how did you find that T-Mobile plan? I've been looking around on their site for several minutes and can't find it listed anywhere.

So I have to call my provider and get them to remove my phone from my account? My Blackberry is the only service I have with my provider so I'm essentially cancelling my account?

This is a lot more complex then I thought. If I had know it was so difficult to get an unlocked BlackBerry to work in a different country I just would never have bothered unlocking it. I figured it would be like my friednds who have non-BlackBerry smartphones and can just pop in any SIM with data and everything works.
    01-20-11 07:26 AM
    So basically, I have to pay a US carrier $60 a month to have a dataplan + SIM card that I might use 3 weeks a year total in order to use my unlocked Canadian-carrier BB in the US?
    01-21-11 11:00 AM
    So basically, I have to pay a US carrier $60 a month to have a dataplan + SIM card that I might use 3 weeks a year total in order to use my unlocked Canadian-carrier BB in the US?

Why would you have to pay every month? You wouldn't even be on a contract. So um no.
    01-21-11 11:31 PM
    Blackberry data is a totally different beast than other data devices. All data goes through RIMs servers which is why your account is called a 'BIS' or Blackberry Integrated Server

You can pop in your sim anywhere, but data won't work

Hmm how did you find that T-Mobile plan? I've been looking around on their site for several minutes and can't find it listed anywhere.

So I have to call my provider and get them to remove my phone from my account? My Blackberry is the only service I have with my provider so I'm essentially cancelling my account?

This is a lot more complex then I thought. If I had know it was so difficult to get an unlocked BlackBerry to work in a different country I just would never have bothered unlocking it. I figured it would be like my friednds who have non-BlackBerry smartphones and can just pop in any SIM with data and everything works.
    01-21-11 11:51 PM
    Google is your friend.

Yes. You cannot have your PIN active on more than one BIS at a time.

BlackBerry devices work differently than other devices.
    01-22-11 07:31 AM
    You would only need to pay for it in the months that you are using it. But yes, that's your only option if you need BlackBerry Data in the US.

If you only need voice and not BlackBerry Data, then you will be able to pay less than that.

Otherwise, contact your carrier and see what "international" options they offer.
    01-22-11 09:25 AM
    I answered that.

Wait. So, if I get this other SIM card, I also have to pay $60 a month to use it on my phone - in addition to my present carrier charges via Verizon??

EDIT: Just saw the post above. Sorry for the duplicate question. Even so, that blows. So now, big deal. I got an unlocked phone. For nothing. I'm certainly not paying extra for services I already have. I'll just deal with my own carrier, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Smmrgrl; 01-22-11 at 10:00 AM.
    01-22-11 09:58 AM
    So, last question: I can't return the phone back to its original UNlocked state, can I?
    01-22-11 10:02 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD