Hello - I have a BlackBerry 9700, the native carrier is T-Mobile. I have unlocked the device and using it with another company. However, if I choose the option to check for an update and actually do update - will I lose my information or risk my phone being locked again?

I didn't unlock it myself and have no knowledge about how the process works. Thanks
    02-11-10 01:31 PM
    The unlocking process will not be reversed.

Most 100% of the time during the upgrade process the Desktop Manager will create a back up and reload that after its done. Or you may choose to make a backup yourself with Desktop Manager.
    02-11-10 01:41 PM
    Thank you CarrierUnlock

Hypothetically speaking - what would need to be done for the unlock process to reverse and the phone to be locked again? I ask that only so I know NOT to do it.

Edit : I checked your site CarrierUnlock - I actually have a Blackberry 8520 from UAE provider DU ( du ) that I want to sell. If I order those world-wide codes, would it actually work or it's pretty much a coin toss?
    Last edited by ME-BB-Avid; 02-11-10 at 01:52 PM.
    02-11-10 01:49 PM
    Thank you CarrierUnlock

Hypothetically speaking - what would need to be done for the unlock process to reverse and the phone to be locked again? I ask that only so I know NOT to do it.

Edit : I checked your site CarrierUnlock - I actually have a Blackberry 8520 from UAE provider DU ( du ) that I want to sell. If I order those world-wide codes, would it actually work or it's pretty much a coin toss?
    You would need to physically take it to a local unlocking shop to have it re-locked with special software.

Yep we sure can unlock it for you. Code would be delivered INSTANTLY.
    02-11-10 01:59 PM
    Hello - I have a BlackBerry 9700, the native carrier is T-Mobile. I have unlocked the device and using it with another company. However, if I choose the option to check for an update and actually do update - will I lose my information or risk my phone being locked again?

I didn't unlock it myself and have no knowledge about how the process works. Thanks
    Don't worry, Blackberry Unlocking is permanent, only way to relock would be for us to have the physical phone. Unlike the iPhone, you can upgrade the OS without any risk of locking your phone.
    02-11-10 03:07 PM
    Once unlocked, your blackberry will be unlocked forever! Let us know if you need help unlocking your other Blackberry!

There are a lot of us on here that can provide a code quick and cheap!
    02-11-10 04:17 PM
    Hey guys - I was set today to unlock my other BlackBerry. I read around the forums for a bit and called my provider in an attempt to get my unlock code (knowing that if they tell me it's not instant I was going to get CarrierUnlock's service). However, upon calling them I have discovered that DU (my Dubai service provider) don't lock their phones. Although it's branded you can still use it with any company. So I tried a Lebanese line that I have and it worked like a charm. That's nice - a company that cares I guess?

Anyways, thank you everybody for the great help.
    02-12-10 01:23 PM
    Yes some providers will sell their phones already unlocked. None a lot of them, but it's always best to check before
    02-12-10 01:27 PM
    Hey guys - I was set today to unlock my other BlackBerry. I read around the forums for a bit and called my provider in an attempt to get my unlock code (knowing that if they tell me it's not instant I was going to get CarrierUnlock's service). However, upon calling them I have discovered that DU (my Dubai service provider) don't lock their phones. Although it's branded you can still use it with any company. So I tried a Lebanese line that I have and it worked like a charm. That's nice - a company that cares I guess?

Anyways, thank you everybody for the great help.
    That's good to hear.
    02-12-10 01:51 PM
    Hey guys,
    i was wondering, if there is just one unlock method (with the unlock code) or several once. I gave my bold 9700 to this shop and they said something about two different ways to unlock a blackberry and that they would try first to unlock my device in a different way and if it wouldnt work, they would try and get me an unlock code (which would take them around 1 week time they said).
    At the end i got it back 30 minutes later and unlocked. No idea how they did it. Im asking this to know if there is any risk that my blackberry gets locked again if they did not use the unlock code to unlock my device.

Thanks for your help in advance
    02-25-10 12:59 PM
    They probably tried it with software and then with a code. We always prefer with unlock code as there is no risk to mess anything in the phone. Your phone should not relock if unlocked properly.
    02-25-10 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD