Hey all,

I'm a complete newb here, so please bear with me (or beer with me if you prefer) in my newbishness.

I have read how you can call and get the unlock code from the company that issued the phone if you have an active account with them. Call them say that you are traveling and wait somewhere between minutes to a week.

I have read that the codes are randomized by the manufacturer, so there isn't a way to generate them. I have also heard that they CAN be generated and there are many sites that will give you the code for a fee.

So, the question:
    How do these sites determine the unlock code? I don't need specific information and I'm not looking for enough information to do it myself, but I am very curious about the process that is used.

Anyhoo, any information would be greatly appreciated...

Mark
    03-30-10 03:22 PM
    Mark,

The codes can be generated. We have a calculator that generates the code via IMEI. Entire process takes less than a second. The sites that sell the codes either have have their own calculator, or they are third-party resellers who buy their codes from someone else.
    03-30-10 03:51 PM
    Blackberrry unlock codes usually come from a "special code generator", for HTC,Motorola..ect unlock codes come from carrier or manufacturer database.
    03-30-10 04:32 PM
    curiosity killed the cat you know! lol just kidding!

Just like the guys said, most of us either have a calculator which is extremely expensive unless you're unlocking phones commercially, or we buy them from 3rd party unlockers who have a calculator
    04-01-10 09:39 AM
    Your all wrong, I get them from a tree out in my back yard just like the dollar bills
    04-01-10 10:03 AM
    why did you tell the OP?? If we get them all to believe that they can be generated then we can keep the unlock code tree a secret!

Nice...real nice...
    04-01-10 10:15 AM
    We usually guess them..and up to now, we've never been wrong a single time..lol

Like mentioned above, most of us have the calculator and generate the unlock codes based on the IMEI/MODEL/PROVIDER. We're basically able to generate the codes instantly. Some of us here, have paid a lot of money for these calculators when they initially came out.
    04-01-10 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD