I've seen a bunch of threads about "unlocking" a Blackberry. What are the benefits to this and how is it done for my BB Tour?

thanks
    09-18-10 04:08 PM
    I've seen a bunch of threads about "unlocking" a Blackberry. What are the benefits to this and how is it done for my BB Tour?

thanks
    If you do a search on the CB forums you will find many threads pertaining to 3rd party companies very well known on here that offer(for a fee) where you can request an unlock code that will be linked to your IMEI and PIN and they will send you instructions on how to go about doing it. It is a simple process.

Many times CB will hold from a certain one of these companies that will give CB maybe 10 or more free unlock codes that you can leave a comment to the post and maybe WIN a free unlock code, That is how I got mine here.

The advantage at least one is that you can use your device on another carrier other than your own as long as it is a compatible carrier meaning CDMA will not work on GSM and of course vice versa.

You can use it internationally as well with the use of your SIM card.

Look around and you will find what you are looking for. Good luck.
    09-18-10 05:13 PM
    The advantage to unlocking the blackberry tour is that as the previous poster mentioned it will allow the Tour to be used on any GSM carrier. Keep in mind however that in the US you will not get 3G on GSM.
    09-18-10 05:22 PM
    The advantage to unlocking the blackberry tour is that as the previous poster mentioned it will allow the Tour to be used on any GSM carrier. Keep in mind however that in the US you will not get 3G on GSM.
    Please keep in mind though that I said a GSM Tour will not work on a CDMA network so if you have a Tour from Verizon and unlock it you cannot use it on AT&T because it is GSM and therefore is a different radio. You have to do CDMA carrier to CDMA carrier and the fact like I said you can then switch SIM cards and use it internationally.

I just wanted to clarify what I said to Sandman so no confusion to the OP on this unlock deal.

Thanks
    09-19-10 11:26 AM
    Please keep in mind though that I said a GSM Tour will not work on a CDMA network so if you have a Tour from Verizon and unlock it you cannot use it on AT&T because it is GSM and therefore is a different radio. You have to do CDMA carrier to CDMA carrier and the fact like I said you can then switch SIM cards and use it internationally.

I just wanted to clarify what I said to Sandman so no confusion to the OP on this unlock deal.

Thanks
    What you talkin' 'bout, Willis? The Tour is a world phone (meaning it has both cdma and gsm radios) and works on the ORIGINAL CDMA CARRIER YOU BOUGHT IT FROM, PLUS any GSM carrier when unlocked, but may only get edge in the US since they use a different freequency for 3g here in the US.

CDMA carriers will not allow you to use the Tour or other CDMA device from a different network on theirs. In other words you cannot use a Verizon Tour on Sprint, but you could unlock the GSM side of the device and use it on ATT, T-Mobile, etc by putting the appropriate sim card in.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-19-10 at 02:52 PM.
    09-19-10 02:44 PM
    What you talkin' 'bout, Willis? The Tour is a world phone (meaning it has both cdma and gsm radios) and works on the ORIGINAL CDMA CARRIER YOU BOUGHT IT FROM, PLUS any GSM carrier when unlocked, but may only get edge in the US since they use a different freequency for 3g here in the US.

CDMA carriers will not allow you to use the Tour or other CDMA device from a different network on theirs. In other words you cannot use a Verizon Tour on Sprint, but you could unlock the GSM side of the device and use it on ATT, T-Mobile, etc by putting the appropriate sim card in.
    Sandman... I must stand corrected and apologize for posting incorrect info. You are right in your post and thank you for explaining it to me and clarifying this point.

Jan
    09-19-10 05:35 PM
    What the OP can also do is just call Verizon, they have a Global department, and ask them to give him an unlock code for the device. If you've had the device for a while, and have been with Verizon for some time, they usually don't have an issue with doing this.

When they still had the "merits/VIP" program, they would do it the same day you purchased the device.

Couldn't hurt to give them a call.
    09-19-10 08:27 PM
    What the OP can also do is just call Verizon, they have a Global department, and ask them to give him an unlock code for the device. If you've had the device for a while, and have been with Verizon for some time, they usually don't have an issue with doing this.

When they still had the "merits/VIP" program, they would do it the same day you purchased the device.

Couldn't hurt to give them a call.
    Very good advice for sure as I totally forgot about this, I have heard the Verizon will do this and had I not won a free unlock code from CB I would do this myself. I have never used my code yet because I don't see having the reason for it's use yet but at least I have it if I need it.

Also my above advice to the OP and am glad I was corrected I completly forgot about Tour being a World Phone with both GSM and CDMA available.

I wish Verizon would make more efforts with RIM like AT&T does to come out with a better BB than to just drop the Tout for the Bold whic although has a few upgrades is the same to me and I cannot justify it as much as I could the 9800 Torch with OS 6 and the fact that Tour will not get OS 6 either.
    09-20-10 02:29 PM
    I have a Tour 9630 through Sprint (now deactivated). I have switched to Verizon and I want to unlock and use. Is it possible?
    10-15-10 05:30 PM
    Nope. Not possible.

Neither Sprint nor Verizon will allow a device from a different carrier to be activated on their network.
    10-15-10 06:39 PM
    Mama- thanks for the reply. I guess it's a paperweight from now on. I will have to try another route.
    10-15-10 07:05 PM
    Sell it and purchase a different device.
    10-15-10 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD