My friend says he cant activate his phone (verizon user) because its reported lost or stolen (bought off craigslist) is there a way to by pass this?
    11-06-09 10:41 AM
    Probably not. Sounds like your friend got screwed. It is my understanding that once a phone is tagged as lost or stolen it cannot be activated again, ever.
    11-06-09 11:17 AM
    Probably not. Sounds like your friend got screwed. It is my understanding that once a phone is tagged as lost or stolen it cannot be activated again, ever.
    thats crazy.. so what do you do with the phone? just return to verizon? there must be a way
    11-06-09 11:43 AM
    That's the risk you take when you buy a used phone from a private seller. I might be wrong so you may want to wait for other replies before giving up, but I'd say that phone is pretty much just a paper weight now.
    11-06-09 11:48 AM
    Okay thanks
    11-06-09 01:26 PM
    The only way to have it activated would be for whoever reported it lost/stolen to call in and say it was found.
    11-06-09 01:32 PM
    unlocked, it will work on a gsm carrier (at&t or tmobile) but it wont work on verizon
    11-06-09 01:38 PM
    Funny - I was actually going to start a similar thread...

I JUST had my phone stolen earlier this week, but was wondering - what happens if I ever find it, or someone returns it....then what? I did some googling, and most people are claiming that once an ESN is reported "stolen", its "burned" forever, and can never be activated again. I find this very hard to believe. Other people claimed that if the ESN is reported as "lost", it can be manually overridden by a CSR...so I mean, we need some carrier reps to chime in here and let us know.

Worst case scenario in my eyes...i paid the $100 (yeah, it went up by $50 and idk about you guys, but i DEF never received ANY notice...nice) and got what appears to be a brand new blackberry tour (while I know it is a refurb, it LOOKS brand new) so all in all, its not that bad of a deal. I presume you could try and return the replacement to Asurion, and see about getting your $100 back...if your lost/stolen phone is ever found or returned...but who knows how that will go over. In the end though, if you have received a replacement, paid your deductible - and you later find your phone or have it returned...IMO, you should be able to have the ESN reactivated (cleaned) and put it up for sale somewhere. While I understand fradulent insurance claims would probably skyrocket...I got news for you, they're already REALLY HIGH! Asurion will send you a phone overnight, after filling out a quick 5 minute forums online...they just want your $$....

But anyway, now that im done ranting, can any CSR's or any knowledgeable staff chime in on the original question?? And can we try to avoid from any unnecessary posts saying "the guy is a scammer", etc etc..this doesnt need to turn ugly. It's an honest question. When I was googling for the answer to this yesterday, I saw soe pretty nasty boards...not here...but just sayin.
    11-06-09 01:40 PM
    Like I said, once a phone has been reported lost or stolen, the only way to have it activated is for the original owner to report that it has been found. So unless you can prove you are the original owner (usually through account information) you will not be able to activate said phone.
    11-06-09 02:17 PM
    Like I said, once a phone has been reported lost or stolen, the only way to have it activated is for the original owner to report that it has been found. So unless you can prove you are the original owner (usually through account information) you will not be able to activate said phone.
    doesn't the "lost/stolen" info make it's way all the way back to RIM where the PIN is "blacklisted"? i thought i read something similar recently about a blacklisted PIN on a supposedly "refurbished" device that some cat bought from a kiosk in like Vancouver or something... and once that happens, the device is in perturbably permanent pretty plastic paperweight-mode period (so yeah, i made up a word, but i had to make the alliteration work)
    11-06-09 05:46 PM
    I don't think it is an unlock issue. The ESN which identifies the stolen or lost phone has probably been banned. I don't think it can be undone.
    11-06-09 06:02 PM
    Nope RIM has nothing to do with it. It will work on any GSM network once unlocked pin and all.
    11-06-09 06:06 PM
    The ESN is the important number for activation, not the PIN. And if the phone was blacklisted, how could the original owner be able to reactivate it if it were found or returned? The idea just doesn't hold water.
    11-06-09 06:06 PM
    Esn will never be able to be activated unless you get it changed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 06:11 PM
    Okay - so lets say I already paid the $100 deductible and received the replacement Tour, and three months down the line, the originally 'lost' Tour manages to catch up with me some how....and I decide I want to keep it. ****, I paid for it, and I paid another $100 for a phone that Verizon is subsidizing for $FOURTY NINE DOLLARS! ... In this case, whats the possibility of unlocking the device for GSM use? Or ANY use at all? Getting mixed responses here...someone who knows what they're talking about should only be responding here. And yes, I understand that this would be insurance fraud - as according to their terms and conditions, you re supposed to send the originally 'lost' phone back to them, should it catch up with you. I am just asking a whit-if. Surely there must be a way.
    11-06-09 06:25 PM
    U can unlock it period. Don't matter if I went up to you right now and jacked you for it. Its unlockable. Nothing a company can do remotely to have that stopped.

11-06-09 06:26 PM
    EDIT: this totally came out wrong...heh...nevermind

U can unlock it period. Don't matter if I went up to you right now and jacked you for it. Its unlockable. Nothing a company can do remotely to have that stopped.

Last edited by mconk; 11-06-09 at 09:28 PM.
    11-06-09 09:01 PM
    Anyone carrier that uses a ESN cannot activate it. GSM carriers do not use ESN's, which is why they use SIM cards.
    11-06-09 09:08 PM
    Hey carrier unlock i need help unlocking my phone
    11-24-09 01:59 PM
    Hey carrier unlock i need help unlocking my phone
    Please keep it to one method of contact and not posting on multiple threads because then you end up hi-jacking another OP's thread. You can email us directly or via text as you have been doing.
    11-24-09 02:07 PM
    I did all that and the phone is still not working
    11-24-09 02:36 PM
    And u turned on network connections. You have to be specific in what is "not working". Does it turn on, receive calls,sms,data,email, etc.

11-24-09 02:38 PM
    Okay - so lets say I already paid the $100 deductible and received the replacement Tour, and three months down the line, the originally 'lost' Tour manages to catch up with me some how....and I decide I want to keep it. ****, I paid for it, and I paid another $100 for a phone that Verizon is subsidizing for $FOURTY NINE DOLLARS! ... In this case, whats the possibility of unlocking the device for GSM use? Or ANY use at all? Getting mixed responses here...someone who knows what they're talking about should only be responding here. And yes, I understand that this would be insurance fraud - as according to their terms and conditions, you re supposed to send the originally 'lost' phone back to them, should it catch up with you. I am just asking a whit-if. Surely there must be a way.
    nope. no way, if you tried to re activate the old esn to get it cleared so you could sell it, it would show up on your acct, then you would be in trouble....
    11-24-09 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD