08-13-09 11:34 PM
147 ... 456
tools
    Well, I bought a new 8830 World Edition phone from Verizon last week. (It has CDMA for US use, and GSM for international use.) I intended to call Verizon and ask them to unlock the phone for when I'm traveling at the end of the month.

Before I called, I checked
    Options>Advanced Options>SIM Card
    and got the message
    "No Valid SIM Card"
    and, sure enough, there didn't appear to be a card in the SIM card slot when I checked.

Puzzled, I called Verizon and asked to talk to Tech Support.

Two things happened:

1-The tech support guy said that some of the phones get sent out without a SIM card, but that I'm entitled to my first Verizon SIM card for free and he would send it out to me so that I'd get it by Wednesday (he also said I could get it handled asap if I went into a Verizon store, but I'm not in that much of a hurry).

He explained that I need to have the Verizon SIM card installed in order to initially unlock the phone, and that once it's unlocked, I can take it out and use any other SIM card. He did say that I should keep the Verizon SIM card safe somewhere, in case I ever wanted to use it.

2-He then told me to get paper and pencil and gave me complete step-by-step instructions for unlocking the SIM card, including the unique unlocking code I would need -- no wait, no hassle, I assume he had my phone info already in his database so I didn't need to give him my pin or my IMEI code.

He was professional, knowledgeable, pleasant, and helpful.

Note that when I called tech support my initial question was about how to unlock my SIM card and the TS guy didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked to talk with someone who knew what I meant. Long wait on phone, when he came back he said he was transferring me to their Global Department. So make sure that if someone you call doesn't understand what you want, ask to talk to someone in the Global Department.

For those of you who're just learning about how all this works, most phones in the US are CDMA compatible -- they work in the US, Canada, Mexico, and are locked into the network you get your phone from (Verizon, t-mobile, etc.) Phones in the rest of the world are GSM compatible -- they can be operated on any network that you have a SIM card for, which you insert in a special slot under the battery in the back of the phone.

The 8830 World Edition Verizon phone has both CDMA and GSM capabilities. When you're in the US/Mexico/Canada you set the phone to run on the CDMA "channel." But it also has a slot to insert a SIM card, which enables you to use it anywhere else in the world (just about everywhere) that's on the GSM "channel." You just need to have an appropriate SIM card installed.

When you get this particular Verizon World Edition phone, it should come with a Verizon SIM card already installed -- and if you were buying it in a Verizon store they would put one in when you buy it -- but apparently when you order it from Verizon online they're sometimes shipped out without one. But you're entitled to a Verizon SIM card for free as part of the World Edition 8830 -- after all, that's the whole point of being a "world" phone-- and as I've just described, it was easy and trouble-free to get it.

The important thing to understand is that -- once you've got a Verizon SIM card installed in your GSM-capable phone, you can go to Prague or Beirut or wherever, and the phone will work there.

But with the Verizon SIM card inserted in your phone, Verizon's per-minute international calling fees are not all that cheap -- around $0.69 a minute for most "civilized" locations -- although still cheaper than buying and paying for a "temporary" travel phone.

So, the reason why you would want to unlock your SIM card is so that you can actually remove the Verizon SIM card and buy and insert some other -- cheaper to use -- SIM card while you're traveling outside of the US/Canada/Mexico.

There are many different options for buying SIM cards for travel -- which I won't go into here, except to point out that the two most common options are to (1) get an "international" SIM card that has possibly lower rates than the Verizon international SIM plans; or the usually much cheaper alternative, which is to (2) wait until you get to -- say -- Prague or Amsterdam and buy a local SIM card which will typically have much better rates for calling within the country, and may -- but not necessarily -- have better rates for calling back home. You can usually get these local SIM cards at major international airports before you head out for your journey.

Hope this helps a little for folks who've been unclear about what this thread is all about.

And note, that this is a success story about getting Verizon to unlock -- for free and no hassle -- my new 8830 World Edition phone.
    Very well written!! Congratulations on unlocking your phone and taking the time to write a good article about it.

As you can see, we're in the unlocking business as well, but we always recommend to the users to always try and call their provider to get the code for free, before coming to us.

Welcome to Crackberry.com and i'm sure everyone will enjoy reading your posts, I know I will
    08-09-09 05:41 PM
    You did a good job. One thing, you do not need a Verizon sim card to unlock phone, any sim card will do, active or inactive.
    Have a nice trip.
    Thanks!

Interesting. I actually asked the tech guy at Verizon if I needed to wait for the Verizon card; I told him I had an old inactive Orange card and wondered if I could use that. He said no, that I had to use the Verizon card before any other card would work....
    08-09-09 07:06 PM
    Very well written!! Congratulations on unlocking your phone and taking the time to write a good article about it.

As you can see, we're in the unlocking business as well, but we always recommend to the users to always try and call their provider to get the code for free, before coming to us.

Welcome to Crackberry.com and i'm sure everyone will enjoy reading your posts, I know I will
    Thanks for the kudos.

That's what happens when a retired tech/marketing writer tries to cut through and make sense of the vast chatter out there. I came to the forum because I wanted to have an idea about how much trouble it might be to ask Verizon to unlock my new phone before I called them, and when it turned out to be waaaay much easier than the posts I'd been reading were suggesting, well, the old impulse to explain it all kicked in....
    08-09-09 07:19 PM
    Yep I know. Just call and have them give you code use your old sim card.
    08-09-09 07:50 PM
    Hi everyone

I don't know the first thing about anything technical, however I was in the UK last week and was given a Blackberry without a sim card for an O2 network. I am now back in Australia and would like to use it with my network. How do I get it unlocked and do I actually need an O2 Sim card to be able to unlock it?

thanks
    08-09-09 09:44 PM
    Hi everyone

I don't know the first thing about anything technical, however I was in the UK last week and was given a Blackberry without a sim card for an O2 network. I am now back in Australia and would like to use it with my network. How do I get it unlocked and do I actually need an O2 Sim card to be able to unlock it?

thanks
    Hi
    We can help you unlock it, and you won't need an O2 Sim card in order to unlock it.
    08-09-09 10:37 PM
    Hi,

I ordered on thursday and was told i would get the RIM code by monday.

Has it arrived?

Sorry for using this thread for this kind of stuff, its just that i cant send PMs yet, otherwise i would! Dont want moderators getting angry at me
    All Blackberry Codes that come from RIM will be in and delivered today. Don't forget, they could be in anytime during the day
    08-10-09 10:55 AM
    All Blackberry Codes that come from RIM will be in and delivered today. Don't forget, they could be in anytime during the day
    Thats 100% fine, aslong as you pinky promise it will come in today
    08-10-09 10:59 AM
    Just following up, to make sure you received it. If you need any help going through the process, you can call us toll free, number in signature.
    just got it. says code was accepted. dont have a sim to test it with yet but it looks like it worked
    08-10-09 11:13 AM
    just got it. says code was accepted. dont have a sim to test it with yet but it looks like it worked
    Yup, those are the magic words ...when you're ready to test it with a SIM card, remember to go into Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and then select 2G.
    08-10-09 11:16 AM
    Yup, those are the magic words ...when you're ready to test it with a SIM card, remember to go into Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and then select 2G.
    Its 00.40? i thought you said i would recieve the code on monday?

please can you check if they have arrived?
    08-10-09 06:39 PM
    call your carrier
    08-10-09 06:41 PM
    I live in Canada and I'm on the Telus network with a brand new BBtour, I called both Rogers and Bell (competitors) and asked for the unlock code because I wanted to switch to them. Both said they were unable to do this because only Telus will have my serial number on file. What should I say to Telus to get my unlock code? They cover almost the whole world now (with international roaming). Could I just ask for it for "security" reasons, as Im travelling and dont want to take the chance of no service being available?
    08-12-09 11:15 AM
    You can call Telus and tell them you are traveling out of country and want to use a prepaid sim card see if it works. Telus I do not think will give code but worth a try.
    08-12-09 11:37 AM
    You can call Telus and tell them you are traveling out of country and want to use a prepaid sim card see if it works. Telus I do not think will give code but worth a try.
    I tried threatning Telus that i will cancel all my phones with them (i got 7 phones and everage bill is about $1500 a month for all of them. they said that they would love to give me unlock codes but, they just dont have it. I just paid Ngreen yesterday (best price that i could find) and about an hour ago i got my code. it worked just fine. so it took about 24 hours. Thanks Ngreen.
    08-13-09 04:49 PM
    I tried threatning Telus that i will cancel all my phones with them (i got 7 phones and everage bill is about $1500 a month for all of them. they said that they would love to give me unlock codes but, they just dont have it. I just paid Ngreen yesterday (best price that i could find) and about an hour ago i got my code. it worked just fine. so it took about 24 hours. Thanks Ngreen.
    Should of told us, we would of been able to get it to you for free from Telus , oh and by the way, they do have the codes now, just not all CSR on the phone is aware yet.
    Last edited by cellunlocknet; 08-13-09 at 05:18 PM.
    08-13-09 05:11 PM
    I will take a free code. Do you need anything else? Thanks

IMEI 352109.03.581394.1
    08-13-09 09:26 PM
    How long does this take?
    08-13-09 10:17 PM
    I will take a free code. Do you need anything else? Thanks

IMEI 352109.03.581394.1
    With all due respect, we all know you and Ngreen are the same user, so no need to play your little game in the forums.

Anything else?
    08-13-09 10:54 PM
    ngreen has unlocked phones for me before and I do support him. He has done well for me. I am a phone broker and if you were offering free codes I would take one. But no thank you.
    08-13-09 11:25 PM
    ngreen has unlocked phones for me before and I do support him. He has done well for me. I am a phone broker and if you were offering free codes I would take one. But no thank you.
    No Ngreen is you, and you are known to have been simply using SLG666 to advertise for yourself, why were both of you banned 2 weeks ago??

Not my type to get in these discussions, but maybe everyone should know the way you manipulate the forums just to get business.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure you're an honnest unlocker and deliver the goods, but your business practices are what are not honnest.

Begging your buyers to leave feedback for you, or creating new users just to spam your "Send me a pm please" is not the way to conduct business.

Every unlocker on CB forums have respect one for another and all vouch for each others, yet we don't manipulate the forums in order to get the readers attention.

Mods...readers..sorry for this unrelated post, but honesty is key in business...about time ngreen...slg666.xxx.xxxx..xxxx walk like a man!
    08-13-09 11:33 PM
    Locked for Moderation!
    08-13-09 11:34 PM
147 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD