Bear in mind that I am a brand new Verizon customer. I set my account up only two weeks ago. I called Verizon global support and essentially the conversation looked more or less like this:

Verizon: (verifying my name, social, etc.) ...blah blah blah... what can I help you with today?

me: Well, I will be traveling to Europe soon and I'll be staying there for several months. While there I would like to use another carrier's sim card because otherwise my Verizon bill will be through the roof. Therefore, I want to unlock my phone.

Verizon: Of course, I understand. Let me check up on a few things while I put you on hold.

(on hold for approx. 30 seconds)

Verizon: Well, unfortunately we are unable to fulfill your request. Our records indicate that you have not been a Verizion customer for more than 60 days. Therefore, we cannot help you in unlocking the phone.

me: Mam, I purchased this phone because it is the only Verizon phone that is GSM-capable. It has a sim card and that's exactly what I had in mind when I purchased the phone. I switched to Verizon because I knew that I will have the best reception here in the States. However, I also knew that since it accepts a sim card, I will be able to use it with another carrier during my 2-month stay in Europe.

Verizon: I certainly understand where you're coming from. Let me put you on hold one last time while I check on something again.

(on hold for approx. 3 minutes)

Verizon: Sir, technically we are not suppose to unlock your phone because you are not 60 days into your contract, but we will make an exception given your circumstances.

(unlocking begins and lasts 2 minutes)

PHONE IS UNLOCKED!!!
    12-07-08 11:14 AM
    No matter what excuse you give them, they'll give you the code. Its a matter of getting a nice representative to fulfill your request. I tried on my first call and it worked. The rep I got didnt even give me any problems. I just said that I need the unlock code because I was going overseas and she gave me the code.

This was also mentioned in the many other UNLOCKED threads. Not all reps will give the same response or help.
    12-07-08 11:39 AM
    Why did you post this????? Friggin waste of space been covered multiple times....
    12-07-08 11:40 AM
    How would I manage to get the unlock code if I'm not a verizon customer? I have T-Mobile but plan on buying a storm from Best Buy... What other options do I have to get the unlock codes?
    12-07-08 11:41 AM
    whats the benefit of having it unlocked?
    12-07-08 12:20 PM
    being a homo that doesnt want to leave the beloved awesome reception they get from at&t so they rather pay 4-500 on a phone then 200 and an ETF if there is one and switch provider
    12-07-08 12:43 PM
    ^Amen to that statement. People don't think with their brain.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 12:54 PM
    Why did you post this????? Friggin waste of space been covered multiple times....
    you need to take a chill pill
    if it's such a waste of space and time, why did you bother to read it in the first place?
    you saw the title and that alone should have told your tiny brain not to enter the thread
    kthnxbye

to the rest of the level-headed people:
    I posted this because there seems to be some debate over why some people get the phone unlocked while others cannot

From what I have observed, most people who have been denied the unlock were those who have not been with Verizon for more than 60 days. The point of the post was to illustrate that even those who do not qualify for the unlock (according to verizon's terms) still can get the phone unlocked with a good enough and convincing argument.

It also appears that people who switched over to Verizon from a GSM carrier are given less grief about unlocking the phone.
    12-07-08 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD