Fairly new here so don't flame me to bad. What is the reason/advantage of unlocking a phone? I was at the mall last night and seen a kiosk that sold accessories and phone insurance. They had a sign up that said "Any phone unlocked in 5 minutes." 10.00 dollars. Just wondering what the big deal is.
    10-25-09 09:16 PM
    10-25-09 09:26 PM
    If you unlock it you can use it on another service provider's network or overseas.
    10-25-09 09:26 PM
    Fairly new here so don't flame me to bad. What is the reason/advantage of unlocking a phone? I was at the mall last night and seen a kiosk that sold accessories and phone insurance. They had a sign up that said "Any phone unlocked in 5 minutes." 10.00 dollars. Just wondering what the big deal is.
    Unlocking a Blackberry enables you to use it with any GSM carrier. So let's say you were to get a Storm which is only sold by Verizon in the USA but would like to use it with your T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card, then you would need to unlock it.

Also if you have a Blackberry that you plan on selling, you will always get more money for it if the phone is unlocked because your buyer will have the freedom to use it with any GSM carrier.
    10-25-09 09:27 PM
    thanks for clearing that up.
    10-25-09 09:29 PM
    Unlocking Benefits:
    There are many benefits to unlocking your handset, including:
    Ability to use any SIM card on any network
    Ability to take advantage of roaming services offered by most major networks
    Possibility of dual, tri or even quad band functions allowing you to use your phone in even more countries around the globe
    11-25-09 08:08 AM
    To be able to use a phone on other GSM networks.
    11-25-09 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD