12-23-09 03:54 AM
82 123 ...
tools
    I just setup my unlocked storm 9530 to work with my AT&T account last night. Everything seems to be working, except my email accounts. When I go to email setup and try to login it says "wrong username or password". When I click on create account, it says "Cannot create account: An account already exists for this BlackBerry device. Please log in or contact mycingular at ---

I did a backup of my curve lastnight before I setup my storm. If I were to do a restore to my storm from that backup would it mess up my BB or would that fix my situation?

This is so frustrating. I'm so close...
    06-25-09 08:45 PM
    Did yu but the device used on ebay or craigslist? Sounds like the PIN hasn't been released by the previous owner. If that is the case, you will have to contact them and have them contact their carrier to release the PIN.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 08:48 PM
    Did yu but the device used on ebay or craigslist? Sounds like the PIN hasn't been released by the previous owner. If that is the case, you will have to contact them and have them contact their carrier to release the PIN.

Yes, I bought it used on ebay. I'm going to contact the seller and see if he will help me out. Thanks
    06-25-09 08:52 PM
    Yes, I bought it used on ebay. I'm going to contact the seller and see if he will help me out. Thanks
    Use the switch device option on your BIS account page enter the imei and pin on the status page in your options
    Hope this held worked for me

06-25-09 09:37 PM
    Use the switch device option on your BIS account page enter the imei and pin on the status page in your options
    Hope this held worked for me

Forgive me for this dumb question, but where would I find my BIS account page?
    06-25-09 09:44 PM
    Google att BIS login then sign in with your BB username and password

06-25-09 09:50 PM
    Don't forget to resend service books from their aswell

06-25-09 09:56 PM
    Don't forget to resend service books from their aswell

Just a thought. Am I entering the imei and pin of the new storm or my old curve?
    06-25-09 10:11 PM
    Storm otherwise pin won't switch over

06-25-09 10:31 PM
    Did it work?

06-25-09 10:42 PM
    Did it work?

It didn't work. It said that is was an invalid pin or wrong format. The funny thing is that the customer service was able to send a text message to my storm. The previous owner is still recieving a few emails.

I sent an email to my ebay seller and asked him to get the previous owner to release the PIN or else the phone was useless to me or anyone else. I told him that after he does that I'll leave him positive feedback.
    06-25-09 10:55 PM
    Well I was in same situation as u and did this and it released pin to me and my email.hmm I wonder why it didn't work if u hook it up to bbdm and click the info on the right side it should show the correct imei or hold down back key and touch not click the top left the top right then top left then top right that will show u the help me screen

06-25-09 11:10 PM
    Well I was in same situation as u and did this and it released pin to me and my email.hmm I wonder why it didn't work if u hook it up to bbdm and click the info on the right side it should show the correct imei or hold down back key and touch not click the top left the top right then top left then top right that will show u the help me screen

The reason this worked for you is likely that the device you had activated was brand new, with no previous owner's activating it. In this case the advice you had given would have worked, as the new device's PIN would never have been previously associated with a BIS account.

However, in the OP's case, the PIN has been previously linked to a BIS account, and can't be linked to a new one until the previous owner releases the PIN. Nothing else will work until the OP manages to contact the seller and has this taken care of.
    06-25-09 11:15 PM
    The reason this worked for you is likely that the device you had activated was brand new, with no previous owner's activating it. In this case the advice you had given would have worked, as the new device's PIN would never have been previously associated with a BIS account.

However, in the OP's case, the PIN has been previously linked to a BIS account, and can't be linked to a new one until the previous owner releases the PIN. Nothing else will work until the OP manages to contact the seller and has this taken care of.
    Nope bought of craigslist and pin was not released so......I actually had to set up blackberry connect with a winmo phone and then swith the device from that to my storm worked flawlessy and when I set up the bis act I was reciving the previous owners multiple emails

06-25-09 11:21 PM
    Slaps your logic in the face

06-25-09 11:22 PM

That's exactly what I did. I contacted the seller and then I looked into one of the emails that the previous owner is still recieving and found an email address in the TO field, that I hope is the person that he bought the phone from. I sent a very nice email to that address, asking that if it was the previous owner, would he please call his carrier and release his PIN. That way I would also stop recieving his email.
    06-25-09 11:28 PM
    Nope bought of craigslist and pin was not released so......I actually had to set up blackberry connect with a winmo phone and then swith the device from that to my storm worked flawlessy and when I set up the bis act I was reciving the previous owners multiple emails

You may slap my logic in the face all you want, knock yourself out.

The fact remains that the OP is having a problem, and I am attempting to help. To point out the flaws in your own theory, I need to point out a couple of things.

1) If the previous owner had activated his PIN, and tied it to a BIS account, yet never done any adjustments to his account via a PC, there would be no prompt for a user name and password, as the OP mentioned having to deal with. A username and password is only assigned to a BIS account when accessed for the first time from a PC. The fact that you did not run into this requirement only proves that the previous owner did not access his/her BIS account from a PC.

2) The fact that you still continued to receive the previous owner's emails mean that the PIN was NOT released by the previous owner, else you would have ceased receiving those emails once you registered the PIN through the online BIS account.

You got lucky with your purchase, and were able to work around the restriction the OP is running into simply because the previous owner hadn't used a PC to access their account.

The OP is not so lucky, so the steps which worked for you previously will not work for them. The only recourse left is to contact the seller (see post #2 in this thread) and have the PIN released. I tip my hat to the attempt to help, and by no means do I belittle your efforts. I encourage you to keep trying to help, but there is no shame in being corrected.
    06-25-09 11:33 PM
    That's exactly what I did. I contacted the seller and then I looked into one of the emails that the previous owner is still recieving and found an email address in the TO field, that I hope is the person that he bought the phone from. I sent a very nice email to that address, asking that if it was the previous owner, would he please call his carrier and release his PIN. That way I would also stop recieving his email.
    Hopefully, you had a good seller, who will have no issue doing this. It will take 15 minutes of his/her time to take care of, but most people neglect to do it when selling a device. Just not something they think of in the process. Good luck, and I hope you can get it resolved quickly to your satisfaction.
    06-25-09 11:36 PM
    Ok dude why r u flying off the handle? I'm trying to help, I had a username/pw aswell man , to clarify when I activated the bis on my GSM carriers sim card , I'd put the sim card in the storm it would get a bis connection NOT UNTIL I switched devices did it overwrite the original owners 3 email accts withe mine so sorry man but IT WORKED FOR ME I WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION

06-25-09 11:43 PM
    I want to thank both of you guys for trying to assist me. I'll post back the results.
    06-25-09 11:43 PM
    Np hopefully all goes well

06-25-09 11:46 PM
    Ok dude why r u flying off the handle? I'm trying to help, I had a username/pw aswell man , to clarify when I activated the bis on my GSM carriers sim card , I'd put the sim card in the storm it would get a bis connection NOT UNTIL I switched devices did it overwrite the original owners 3 email accts withe mine so sorry man but IT WORKED FOR ME I WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION

Not flying off the handle. Apologies if my post came off sounding that way. If it worked for you, then great. Either you got very lucky with your purchase not having the same headaches, or there is something different in your situation. Could be the fact that you are on a GSM network, using a SIM card, not on Verizon's CDMA. GSM is not my forte, so I acknowledge that that is possible.

That being said, there was also no need for the comment posted after your original response to my post. We are here to help, and that contributed nothing.

@jayman. Please do let us know how it works out for you.
    06-25-09 11:49 PM
    I apologize for that post was outta line were both tryin to help here

06-26-09 12:16 AM
    I have the same problem not being able to set up my email. I purchased my phone from a friend. I spoke to ATT blackberry support team and they told me to get in contact with verizon and tell them to release the "block" or whatever it is called for this pin. I will call them tomorrow if i have time and see how that goes and keep you guys updated.
    06-26-09 01:12 AM
    I just got off the phone with VZ customer service. I'm a VZ landline & DSL customer, but NOT wireless. I explained the situation to the rep and she spoke to someone else. Then she suggested that I call or visit a VZ store. She said the tech people there should be able to release the PIN for me. The stores don't open until 9am so I'll call then. If they won't do it over the phone, then I'll go in person after I get off work this evening. I'll keep you posted.
    06-26-09 08:01 AM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD