Here is a quick guide I use to Unlock my Blackberries. This has worked for me twice on two different providers (AT&T/Cingular 8800 and Bell 9700).

1. Call the Current Provider(AT&T/Cingular, Rogers, Bell, Telus, T-Mobile, O2, Vodafone, etc) of the Blackberry.
    2. Navigate to Technical Support.
    3. Say that you will be traveling out of the country next month and you would like to know if you can buy a Sim Card over there and it will work.
    4. This person may or may not tell you about some roaming plan that will cost you money but say you just want to buy a Sim Card there and use it.
    5. Tell them you have heard of unlocking a phone and if that will work (which it will, of course),
    6. The person should walk you through steps on how to unlock it (Turn off mobile network, give them your imei, etc.)
    7. After you reboot your phone, it will be unlocked and you can use any providers Sim Card in your now Unlocked Phone.

Good Luck!

Note: Your provider may have a waiting period where if you just bought your phone, you will have to wait X amount of days until you can unlock it.

Any tips, other information, questions, etc, feel free to post.
    07-31-10 07:12 PM
    That's all fine and good if you're still active on that network, but if you buy a used phone there could be issues in using this method.
    08-01-10 08:33 AM
    That and Canadian carriers do not ever give out unlock codes.
    08-01-10 10:25 AM
    @dervari: You don't need to be with the provider of the phone, you just have to call them. I unlocked an AT&T 8800 from Canada. I called them up, said I bought the phone off ebay and would like it unlocked.

@CarrierUnlock: Canadian providers do allow the unlocking of your blackberry. I just did it last month with my 9700 which i purchased from them on a 3yr term.
    08-01-10 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD