I am looking ahead in the future when I sell my phone. I hear the resale value is better when unlocked because people can use their own carrier.

However the general MO for unlocking is to send in your IMEI number. Is this safe to do? What are the possible things people may do with this number in a malicious manner?
    04-28-10 12:50 PM
    If you want to have your phone unlocked, you will have to send your IMEI into the unlocking company, that's just how you get the code. It's perfectly safe to give it out as long as it's a reputable site.
    04-28-10 02:13 PM
    Its important that you use a reputable 3rd party unlocker that has good feedback. Giving someone with a history your IMEI isn't a problem..its when you give it to someone with no feedback that you may get into trouble.

Realistically though, the only thing someone could do with it is get your phone blocked by claiming it as lost/stolen. It would take someone with a lot of time on their hands to do that
    04-28-10 06:54 PM
    I am looking ahead in the future when I sell my phone. I hear the resale value is better when unlocked because people can use their own carrier.

However the general MO for unlocking is to send in your IMEI number. Is this safe to do? What are the possible things people may do with this number in a malicious manner?
    It's the only way to generate a unlock code. I would not post it publicly. Be careful on who you choose to unlock it and read up on any reviews of any perspective unlocker.
    04-28-10 07:02 PM

This is the main reason why you want to deal with legitimate/reputable unlockers. We've heard that some sites, that sell codes for cheap are only interested in getting your imei to clone it on another phone.

Always make sure you deal with a company that has feedback here in the forums and that have been active for a long period of time and not just fly by spammers.
    04-29-10 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD