Just picked up a Curve from Verizon.First app I installed was Trapster - after wanting it for so long and made famous by Alex Roy's cross country sprint by car.

I soon found out Vericrap locked their phones. You all know the rest, as do I.

But in this thread, and my first one here, we are going to discuss HOW, not if we can unlock full GPS capabilities on a Verizon phone.

Oh, and happy to be here starting off on a good note!
    06-21-09 05:24 PM
    Unfortunately the "how" and "if" are tightly connected. You can't do it. Many, many have been trying for a very long time and it's just not possible.
    06-21-09 06:00 PM
    Yes, it's not as easy as changing a file, or deleting a file, then reloading the OS on your Berry.

I suspect it is tied in with the service books. Only Verizon can remove the restrictions on the GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 06:37 PM
    You might find this thread a good place to start: http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/rea...v1-0-a-192999/
    06-21-09 09:49 PM
    How is the gps broken? Mine works fine. Exactly like it did on my storm....?

06-21-09 10:13 PM
    The internal GPS on your Verizon 8330 works with BBMaps and VZNav. Nothing more. That's all that Verizon has enabled on the 83xx and 88xx BlackBerry devices. Google Maps and Garmin Mobile are two GPS apps that can use the internal GPS on a Storm, but not the internal GPS on an 8330.
    06-21-09 10:19 PM
    How is the gps broken? Mine works fine. Exactly like it did on my storm....?

In BB Maps, and VZNav perhaps.

06-21-09 10:20 PM
    after loading the .160 hybrid....my gps works great on bbmaps. i have a verizon 8330 now running the 160 for 3 weeks with great results. so yes...the gps on verizon can be enabled. now if it would only work with google maps
    06-22-09 12:12 AM
    GPS on Verizon Curves and Pearls have been working on BB Maps since Dec. '08 with the .77 OS.

06-22-09 12:17 AM
    after loading the .160 hybrid....my gps works great on bbmaps. i have a verizon 8330 now running the 160 for 3 weeks with great results. so yes...the gps on verizon can be enabled. now if it would only work with google maps
    GPS on Verizon Curves and Pearls have been working on BB Maps since Dec. '08 with the .77 OS.

xliderider is correct. To avoid any confusion, running a hybrid OS has nothing to do with enabling the internal GPS.
    06-22-09 05:55 AM
    Verizon uses PDE authorization to gain access to tower GPS information. Either the program itself, or the service books have the authorization code for a specific application to access their GPS information. It keeps it pretty well locked down.
    06-22-09 07:47 AM
    i found that by enabling geologging on my camera. i then when gps is needed launch the camera start is lock process. then launch bb maps start navigation. i then can use any program i see fit and it works great.
    06-22-09 08:31 AM
    You will never be able to use the internal gps for anything but bb maps. Just get yourself a gps puck and go that route. I believed there had to be a fix/hack for the internal gps but there is not.

06-22-09 08:49 AM
    i have posted the fix and it works great i used it on 5 or 6 devices. alltel and verizon.
    06-22-09 08:51 AM
    i have posted the fix and it works great i used it on 5 or 6 devices. alltel and verizon.

Didn't work on my Verizon. I tried that fix months ago to no avail. I think the Verizon issue is more deeply rooted than this fix can weed out. Great for some folks though.
    06-22-09 09:47 AM
    Thank You Very Much Sir!
    Really really thankful for this tip (enabling geotagging in the camera).
    It worked out for me, now my google maps and Nav4All shows exact position within 15 meters, as supposed to 1200 metres showing b4 this tip.
    Thanks Again buddy.
    07-06-09 01:00 AM
    Didn't work for me. After enabling geotaging on the camera, there is a little sattilite with a red x through it. Soooo geotagging the camera doesn't do anything for me. Unless I did something wrong.

07-06-09 08:43 AM
    If you are still within 30days of joining Verizon, just give the phone back with a thanks but no thanks and get a 8330 from sprint that does have a working GPS
    07-06-09 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD