hello, I'm a new user.
    my girlfriend is a blackberry user, and an At&t customer (though i'm personally on Verizon). she wants to buy an unlocked Tour and use it to replace a Samsung impression, but i'm a little skeptical. so, i thought this forum might be able to answer a few questions for me!
    firstly, why is it that on At&t you HAVE to purchase a data plan with your messaging plan? i mean, it's 50 dollars for unlimited messaging and data. she doesn't want to use her phone for internet, only picture messaging. so, it seems a little absurd to think that a phone MUST have a data plan to also send picture messages (she had this issue with her blackberry pearl that she used before her Samsung impression).
    secondly, if she activates the new blackberry on her current plan, will her insurance cover the device? it's an unlocked Verizon blackberry, which i have read into and should be able to use her Sim card. or will she be SOL if it breaks?
    thirdly (and lastly), are unlocked phones frowned upon by the cell companies? will she have any trouble with At&t for using a device that wasn't sold by them? i'd hate to have her walk into a big trap, just for wanting a new phone.
    04-26-10 10:59 AM
    hello, I'm a new user.
    my girlfriend is a blackberry user, and an At&t customer (though i'm personally on Verizon). she wants to buy an unlocked Tour and use it to replace a Samsung impression, but i'm a little skeptical. so, i thought this forum might be able to answer a few questions for me!
    firstly, why is it that on At&t you HAVE to purchase a data plan with your messaging plan? i mean, it's 50 dollars for unlimited messaging and data. she doesn't want to use her phone for internet, only picture messaging. so, it seems a little absurd to think that a phone MUST have a data plan to also send picture messages (she had this issue with her blackberry pearl that she used before her Samsung impression).
    secondly, if she activates the new blackberry on her current plan, will her insurance cover the device? it's an unlocked Verizon blackberry, which i have read into and should be able to use her Sim card. or will she be SOL if it breaks?
    thirdly (and lastly), are unlocked phones frowned upon by the cell companies? will she have any trouble with At&t for using a device that wasn't sold by them? i'd hate to have her walk into a big trap, just for wanting a new phone.
    AT&T question, basically their company their rules LOL. Phones on ALL networks especially for BlackBerry's use DATA to transmit picture messages. Most ALL US carriers require a DATA plan for ANY smartphone device. SMS/TEXT is not DATA. A device not sold by AT&T will not be covered by their insurance company. There are many third party insurance companies that will. AT&T doesn't care which phone you use on their network. But if you need technical support on that device don't count on them for help since it is not a device they carry.
    04-26-10 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD