Are there any downsides to unlocking a Blackberry Bold?

The Blackberry Bold I've just purchased is locked to our phone provider, Etisalat, meaning when I go for holidays back home I won't be able to use my UK sim card in it.

Seen plenty of links on here in threads to unlocking websites, but was wondering if by doing this, access is restricited to particular things, such as future software updates, etc?
    08-22-09 08:01 AM
    Nope nothing will be restricted...
    08-22-09 08:24 AM
    There are no downsides / restrictions...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 08:29 AM
    Many thanks
    08-22-09 08:53 AM
    Only downside is you void the warranty on your phone when you unlock it, but i think if you call in for a warranty claim, they dont ask if its unlocked or not, just if the white sticker is tampered with on one of the T5 screws on the back.
    08-22-09 09:33 AM
    Unlocking the phone should NOT void the manufacturer's warranty (search for the many unlocking vs. Debranding threads, or look at Tronyx's site - hookeontronyx.com). De-branding the phone will, however (so I've read), but if you just want to use SIM cards from carriers other than your own, unlocking is the way to go.

08-22-09 09:50 AM
    Unlocking the phone should NOT void the manufacturer's warranty (search for the many unlocking vs. Debranding threads, or look at Tronyx's site - hookeontronyx.com). De-branding the phone will, however (so I've read), but if you just want to use SIM cards from carriers other than your own, unlocking is the way to go.

Right. Unlocking does not void the warranty.

08-22-09 09:58 AM
    Really? Thats odd, cause my job is basically to unlock phones, and I've had countless people call into the office saying they were told there warranty was voided due to unlocking the phone.
    08-22-09 10:06 AM
    Nope the warrenty is all good with an unlock. Its when you debrand the phone that when its void

08-22-09 11:42 AM
    I called AT&T to unlock my Bold and my Curve. They never mentioned anything like that at all. They gave me the codes and told me to enjoy my trip.

08-22-09 04:28 PM
    If they tell you your warranty is void because of it tell them BS they are wrong.

08-22-09 10:05 PM
    no downside at all
    08-22-09 10:15 PM
    Am I right in thinking that a couple of you have phoned your phone providers to ask for unlock codes? Should I do this, or use an online service, or is there no difference?
    08-23-09 01:16 AM
    Only downside is you void the warranty on your phone when you unlock it, but i think if you call in for a warranty claim, they dont ask if its unlocked or not, just if the white sticker is tampered with on one of the T5 screws on the back.
    ****t.. i thought the small white sticker was just a random piece of debree so i took mine off..
    im almost 100% sure my first bold didnt have one of those stickers on the t5 screws though.
    would my warranty be voided still?
    08-23-09 02:10 AM
    When you put another carriers sim card in you loose all bis services over wifi unless that sim has a bis service plan activated on it. When I was away I needed bis for email so was forced to use my existing sim, connected to bis over wifi and turned network service off so not to incure any additional charges.

08-23-09 03:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD