Hey guys, I'm considering unlocking my 8900 on Rogers to avoid paying the large roaming charges that I currently incur from traveling to the states. I'm just wondering if there are any downsides to unlocking my phone in terms of lost functionality. Also would Rogers still honor my warranty on an unlocked phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-10 06:27 PM
    I don't know what the Roger's warranty policies are.

But there will be no effect on the functionality of the phone by unlocking it.

02-03-10 06:40 PM
    Rogers considers unlocking a warranty violation.

However, I have never heard of a case where they even check for that on a warranty return. You should be fine.

What carrier will you go with in the USA?
    02-04-10 06:18 AM
    Thanks for the reply guys. I haven't considered which US carrier I want to go with. My plan is to just set up a prepaid account the next time I'm over there. I mostly travel to the NYC area. Any recommendations?

02-04-10 08:40 AM
    Send a tweet over to kevin @crackberrykevin or mike @crackberry and they should have the specifics since this site is Canadian based. But it shouldn't be a problem.
    02-04-10 04:37 PM
    Thanks for the responses guys.

02-04-10 05:55 PM
    Doesn't affect the device in anyway and the warranty issue depends who you ask. Never had a customer have a issue with a device they unlocked and returned or exchanged.
    02-04-10 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD