Say, I unlock a Tmobile BB Curve phone. And then use another carrier sim card in the phone, will wifi work? More specifically, will google apps (gmal, gmaps) work?

Likewise, say I use Tmobile pre-paid, will wifi work?
    Last edited by mmsi; 12-19-07 at 02:48 PM.
    12-19-07 02:14 PM
    If you use it on another carrier with a BB data plan it will, but if you have no BB data plan, the service books will not get pushed to the device, thus WiFi will not work...so in short prepaid BB will not have wifi.
    12-19-07 02:23 PM
    thanks. that is helpful!

the curve is a great instrument. a shame that they are so dependent on network services.
    12-19-07 03:22 PM
    Actually, the wifi BB's will work over wifi with no sim card even installed. Certain BB features like BBMessenger, and push email will not work without a standard BB data plan. However, there are quite a few apps that will work.
    12-19-07 03:24 PM
    oh. you mean gmail app, google maps, messengers and other services are likely to work, once unlocked.

i currently have a TMobile locked curve. Inserted a Tmobile prepaid card in that. Only the browser works while accessing the internet. None of the apps such as gmail, yahoo go etc work.

so i guess, unlocking the phone will enable the WiFi to work without any data plan but only voice plan. do confirm after the above description.

cheers!
    12-19-07 03:36 PM
    Hi all,

I have a quick question, somewhat related to this thread topic. I have a BB Curve and travel a lot to Asia (China, Japan). I am told that I can use Wifi while in Asia (e.g., at a hotel that offers Wifi) to make international calls on my Curve for free. Is this correct, and exactly how does this work?

Thanks,
    Augustus
    12-19-07 10:16 PM
    oh. you mean gmail app, google maps, messengers and other services are likely to work, once unlocked.

i currently have a TMobile locked curve. Inserted a Tmobile prepaid card in that. Only the browser works while accessing the internet. None of the apps such as gmail, yahoo go etc work.

so i guess, unlocking the phone will enable the WiFi to work without any data plan but only voice plan. do confirm after the above description.

cheers!

Check out this thread on what you can and can't do without a BB data plan on a wifi BB.

TMobile 8320 with no data plan
    12-20-07 12:28 AM
    Hi all,

I have a quick question, somewhat related to this thread topic. I have a BB Curve and travel a lot to Asia (China, Japan). I am told that I can use Wifi while in Asia (e.g., at a hotel that offers Wifi) to make international calls on my Curve for free. Is this correct, and exactly how does this work?

Thanks,
    Augustus
    If you can connect to a wifi network and get UMA then all your calls work exactly as if you were here in the US.
    12-20-07 12:29 AM
    If you can connect to a wifi network and get UMA then all your calls work exactly as if you were here in the US.
    Wow that's cool, so no roaming charges?
    12-20-07 01:44 PM
    hi john i read wat u wrote cud u plz tel me how shud i enable wi fi without BB data plan on my pearl 8100 i wud really appreciate your help
    03-10-08 10:25 AM
    In order to enable the WIFI on your BB, data plan must be installed in you cell otherwise it will not work whether you use same sim or not.

And gmal, gmaps like apps will work only if you have the settings for your BB.
    09-05-11 03:47 AM
    You can use WIFI just to connect the internet and serf the web with the browser on your Blackberry. no need for unlocking to do that and no need for sim card / active line to make it work..

But to have WIFI for Blackberry services you need to have a BIS.
    09-05-11 04:00 AM
    josh, why do you always dig up these old threads about unlocking? Seems you are trying to promote your company.
    09-05-11 08:19 AM
    I agree with SwitchBeach.. Mods should jsut close these threads.
    09-05-11 10:56 AM
    well said SwitchBeach...
    09-06-11 10:24 AM
    thanks. that is helpful!

the curve is a great instrument. a shame that they are so dependent on network services.
    That's the whole purpose and reason behind the design.
    09-06-11 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD