02-16-10 02:40 AM
28 12
tools
    II have a blackberry bold 9000. i just recently switched from at&t to verizon and would like to sell the bold. ive always heard unlocking it increases its value. should i try calling at&t to get the unlock code?
    02-14-10 04:16 PM
    You should always try.... if you get it unlocked u have the potential for not only the AT&T customers to want the phone, but also the Tmobile customers...
    02-14-10 04:17 PM
    You should always try.... if you get it unlocked u have the potential for not only the AT&T customers to want the phone, but also the Tmobile customers...
    Yes i know that. But theres also the fact that it voids warranty, so thats why im unsure.
    02-14-10 04:19 PM
    It doesn't void a warranty, if it did the carrier would not offer the codes themselves and RIM would declined them for warranty issues as well.
    02-14-10 04:30 PM
    It doesn't void a warranty, if it did the carrier would not offer the codes themselves and RIM would declined them for warranty issues as well.
    well this is news to me. ive read dozens and dozens of times that unlocking a phone voids the warranty...
    02-14-10 05:26 PM
    Never had one phone ever get returned back to me because AT&T, Verizon or RIM said it was unlocked and they won't accept it.
    02-14-10 05:49 PM
    Yes unlocking can increase a phones value and desirablity when selling it since it is not locked to a carrier. I know guys that will carry a spare unlocked phone with them traveling just in case and also to stick a local sim in.

No, unlocking does nothing to a phones warranty. Typically after you have had the phone 90 days a carrier will give you unlock codes if you request them. They will also give them to you earlier if you are a long time customer and are traveling overseas. Enjoy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 05:56 PM
    OK well that's good news then. So how should I go about this since I don't have at&t anymore? If I say I'm going overseas they may ask for my number. Then they'll see that I switched to Verizon :-O

02-14-10 08:21 PM
    If research has done correctly and you find a reputable unlocker the cost is minor and the higher resale value is ALWAYS greater than the cost to unlock it.

AT&T usually does not provide codes if you are no longer a customer of theirs. But some have still succeeded. If not we can help you out.
    02-14-10 08:37 PM
    well i wasnt planning on paying for a code. i cant imagine the difference in price is THAT large.
    02-14-10 08:57 PM
    Well let us know what happens
    02-14-10 10:41 PM
    Allows you to use it with any GSM carrier, person who buys it doesn't need to buy a phone from the service provider.
    Yes most of the time. Not with AT&T as it turns out! My phone is a dud here in Canada, regardless of being unlocked and even debranded! lolz

I had tonnes of at&t phones in the past and all were well, it seems the more 'hi-tech' Bold is something that doesn't want to work :S
    02-15-10 01:04 AM
    Yes most of the time. Not with AT&T as it turns out! My phone is a dud here in Canada, regardless of being unlocked and even debranded! lolz

I had tonnes of at&t phones in the past and all were well, it seems the more 'hi-tech' Bold is something that doesn't want to work :S

That's strange because I haven't heard that happen. Plenty of happy customers with Bold old and new Bold working just fine in Canada.
    02-15-10 01:13 AM
    well i tried calling at&t. i got a very friendly young woman who was willing to help...didnt even ask any questions or mention anything about my account being cancelled. unfortunately, my IMEI wasnt turning up anything in her system, so she had to submit a "case". she said theyll get back to me by the 23rd :/
    02-15-10 07:46 PM
    Well if you do not want to wait or they still fail to get you a unlock code. Let us know when can get it immediately.
    02-15-10 08:04 PM
    i did check out your site, and even though the bold codes rather cheap, i still dont know if its worth paying $10 for. i was checkin on ebay, and i couldnt really find any evidence that suggested unlocked phones were worth anymore than locked. if they are, great, but if i go and spend $10 on a code and theyre not, i wasted my money.
    02-15-10 08:15 PM
    We will do it for half.
    02-15-10 08:23 PM
    You can either sell it for slightly more, but even beyond that, unlocking the phone opens you up to selling to more people. More people can use it, so more people would bid on it/buy it.

Let us know if you need any help unlocking it if att doesn't come through
    02-15-10 11:17 PM
    I always unlock my phones before I sell them. It opens up the buyer pool, and hopefully helps you get the price you see people asking for. With TMO, I've been lucky that they will unlock them at no charge. But when I was with ATT-then-Cingular, I used a service to unlock my moto razr.
    02-15-10 11:31 PM
    Phone is now unlocked, thanx to CarrierUnlock. Glad we could make a deal Now on to selling this bad boy...
    02-16-10 12:44 AM
    If its decent condition don't see why you could sell it for $200-$250
    02-16-10 12:45 AM
    If its decent condition don't see why you could sell it for $200-$250
    Well its a warranty replacement. I literally got it, used it for a day (so AT&T wouldnt charge me), then switched to verizon and got a droid. So the phone itself is in perfect condition. obviously though, they only warrant the phone itself. so the battery, charger, leather back, box, cords, etc are all the original. Everything is still in perfect condition except the leather back. It has a small knick in the leather at the bottom corner and the metal piece surrounding the camera hole is scratched up. Also, the stock leather case was a piece of crap and didnt last long at all. I was able to get it replaced free under warranty, however, the new one isn't an identicle match. it came from an at&t corporate store, but its slightly different style and doesnt have the BB symbol on it. it is still a swivle leather case with the screen-shutoff feature. on top of all the standard accessories, im going to include my 8GB class 6 microSD card and my car charger. any idea what i might get for all this?
    02-16-10 12:55 AM
    Always start high so you have wiggle room to get the "real" you would let it go for. If selling on here doesn't fare well you can always try eBay.

02-16-10 01:34 AM
    i was just planning on ebay, never thought of trying here lol. however, in my experience with online forum classifieds (caraudio.com), you basically get the lowest price on em. whenever im in the market for some new audio components, im over at caraudio.com cause those prices are almost always lower than anywhere else ive found on the net or in store. ill give it a try though.
    02-16-10 01:53 AM
    i was just planning on ebay, never thought of trying here lol. however, in my experience with online forum classifieds (caraudio.com), you basically get the lowest price on em. whenever im in the market for some new audio components, im over at caraudio.com cause those prices are almost always lower than anywhere else ive found on the net or in store. ill give it a try though.
    IMHO, we think you would get more on Craigslist then you would on Ebay.
    02-16-10 02:26 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD