10-30-11 04:02 PM
39 12
tools
    If i buy a T Mobile phone and unlock it for att (Bold 9780) who will warranty it? ATT? or T Mobile?
    Regardless RIM will still honor the warranty.
    12-21-10 02:06 AM
    yes it voids warranty
    Does not VOID the warranty... They don't check first of all... If you have an issue with the phone, you tell them what the issue is and they fix the issue and reflash your phone. You will not loose the unlock when they do this.
    12-21-10 02:18 PM
    It does not void the warranty for the following reasons (forget what the CSR's tell you...follow the logic instead):

1) Carriers in the US provide unlock codes to their customers <---this is the biggest giveaway that it doesn't void the warranty
    2) Rogers recently lost a case and will soon be unlocking phones at a cost of $50 (again, they wouldn't do it if it voided the warranty)
    3) I personally have unlocked all of my phones (about 10-15) and have sent a number of them back to Rogers with issues. I have never had anyone say that my warranty is voided for any reason besides the phone being water damaged

Have faith in us!
    12-21-10 10:58 PM
    Thanks for the backup RemoteUnlocker..
    12-22-10 12:41 PM
    I'm not sure who started or how it got spread so wildly the "voiding you warranty" rumor but it sure got around. Like remote said it's laughable when the carrier itself will give you the unlock code if you ask
    12-22-10 01:02 PM
    Unlocking a Blackberry by code never voided the warranty. Only thing that voids your Blackberry warranty is if you take the phone apart
    12-28-10 12:18 AM
    Exactly!

I think the misinformation comes from CSR's that have heard that 'unlocking voids warranties' but has never been confirmed from the source
    12-28-10 11:40 AM
    i have heard a lot of stories from people that try to call a carrier with a different carriers's phone asking for the unlock code they tell them it voids the warranty in order to try to get them to buy a phone from them instead of using a unlocked phone on their network
    12-28-10 12:30 PM
    This thread should be closed because with all this testimony clearly it does not void the warranty.
    12-28-10 10:49 PM
    Yes it voids out all warrenty u have wit the phone I work at best buy I have called to have phones unlocked and they have said it viods out any warrents u had wit the carrier and wit the company that makes the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 10:53 PM
    I'm sorry but you are wrong.
    12-29-10 12:07 AM
    Yes it voids out all warrenty u have wit the phone I work at best buy I have called to have phones unlocked and they have said it viods out any warrents u had wit the carrier and wit the company that makes the phone

They are trained to say that. Unlocking by code doesn't void the warranty. We exchange hundreds of Blackberrys every year through RIM and never had a denial because the phone was unlocked.
    12-29-10 12:18 AM

people like yourself and myself( when i used to work at at&t ) that work at carrier based business. aka at&t tmobile best buy radio shack are trained to say it voids warranty because carriers don't want people unlocking their phones to work on other networks!
    12-29-10 12:30 AM
    A lot of misguiding information is being tossed around here. Unlocking will have no effect on the warranty of your BB. Software changes are not related to warranty. The only thing that is going to void your warranty is physically opening up your BB.
    10-30-11 04:02 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD