Was trying to look for an answer but only found old posts dated almost a year ago.

Will be going to Japan for at least a year, so need to know if unlocked Bold would work in Japan? Is DoCoMo still the only network that supports BIS? Does any 3G-supported SIM work? What about the call-barring problem that people were having before? Has it been resolved? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance!
    10-02-09 09:04 PM
    Yes it will. Docomo is the only carrier. BIS and 3G work just like here.
    10-02-09 10:29 PM
    So can I buy any international sim card (or does it have to be from Docomo??) , pop it in my unlocked Bold, take the device to Japan, and be set with it working and everything?
    10-02-09 11:08 PM
    Yes it will. Docomo is the only carrier. BIS and 3G work just like here.
    Thanks!

So if I'm planning to get a local SIM, I should only get one from Docomo? Anything else I need to watch out for?
    10-03-09 12:40 AM
    Thanks!

So if I'm planning to get a local SIM, I should only get one from Docomo? Anything else I need to watch out for?
    "No Foreigners Allowed" onsen.
    And be prepared for 24/7 (non-rude. Just interested) stares if you don't resemble a Japanese.
    10-03-09 12:44 AM
    "No Foreigners Allowed" onsen.
    And be prepared for 24/7 (non-rude. Just interested) stares if you don't resemble a Japanese.
    LOL thanks for the tip
    Luckily, I have asian genes, so I may be exempt from the stares, at least until I start "trying" to speak Japanese
    10-03-09 01:14 AM
    I also heard about the frequency being different in Japan. Would that affect whether the phone would work or not?
    10-03-09 02:58 AM
    I'm pretty sure that you just can't pop in a local sim and get the BIS to work since the service is tied to the sim. You will be able to get voice working no problem though. If you decide to use your current sim it will also work for both voice and data but you will have to pay for roaming charges. The bold is a 3G phone so will work in both Korea and Japan.

If you are planning to move there for an extended period you can get a BIS plan locally and reactivate the phone's PIN for that carrier - but you must first have your current carrier unlist your current PIN on their servers.
    10-03-09 11:20 AM
    GH05T is right.
    10-03-09 06:40 PM
    I'm pretty sure that you just can't pop in a local sim and get the BIS to work since the service is tied to the sim. You will be able to get voice working no problem though. If you decide to use your current sim it will also work for both voice and data but you will have to pay for roaming charges. The bold is a 3G phone so will work in both Korea and Japan.

If you are planning to move there for an extended period you can get a BIS plan locally and reactivate the phone's PIN for that carrier - but you must first have your current carrier unlist your current PIN on their servers.
    So I can just call up my current carrier and ask them to unlist my PIN? And then go to Japan and reactivate my phone's PIN over there? Do you know how long it'll take? Would they know what to do right away? Or do I need to talk to specific tech people? Just wanna minimize the wait time if possible.
    10-04-09 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD