1. I was wondering if an unlocked blackberry on the alltel (cdma) network would work on the straight talk (prepaid from walmart) network after being unlocked?
    2. Does a blackberry have to have active service to be unlocked?
    3. Straight talk has been said to be cdma network but it also has some phones that uses sim cards. I thought phones that use sim cards were on gsm network. true or false?

Anything else anyone can tell me about this would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in switching to straight talk and have a blackberry from alltel and one from at&t that are not being used so I would like to know if I could use one of those. The alltel blackberry is the curve 8530 and the at&t is the curve 8310 so I would really like to use the 8530 being as its the more up-to-date of the two.
    12-01-10 06:32 PM
    1. No. First of all, you cannot "unlock" a CDMA device. Secondly, StraightTalk requires that you use one of their phones.

2. No.

3. No idea. But StraightTalk uses CDMA in the US.
    faith613 likes this.
    12-01-10 07:10 PM
    Thank you Motorcycle mama. I know a couple of people that have used verizon phones with straight talk. I have heard that straight talk is part of verizon so I guess that's why. I really appreciate your help.
    12-01-10 07:46 PM
    1. I was wondering if an unlocked blackberry on the alltel (cdma) network would work on the straight talk (prepaid from walmart) network after being unlocked?
    3. Straight talk has been said to be cdma network but it also has some phones that uses sim cards. I thought phones that use sim cards were on gsm network. true or false?

Anything else anyone can tell me about this would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in switching to straight talk and have a blackberry from alltel and one from at&t that are not being used so I would like to know if I could use one of those. The alltel blackberry is the curve 8530 and the at&t is the curve 8310 so I would really like to use the 8530 being as its the more up-to-date of the two.
    It will work on the gsm side, but not sure about the native bb apps.
    12-01-10 09:16 PM
    Only the Alltel 9630 will work ,,,
    12-01-10 09:38 PM

You can actually unlock a cdma phone (motorycle momma!) you just have to make sure the phone has a sim card slot, EX. Storm 1, storm 2, tour, 8830, etc.

Your phone doesn't need to be active or have service.

Most companies that use sim cards are Gsm, but not all. Make sure your phone has a sim card slot in it, if it does it can be unlocked. and also check the network you'll be using to make sure its a Gsm network.

If you need help unlocking we'd love to help
    12-02-10 08:36 AM
    Ok. You know that what you just posted is misleading.

You canNOT unlock a CDMA device.

The Storms, Tours, etc. have BOTH CDMA and GSM radios. Only the GSM sides can be unlocked. And the 8830 cannot be used on GSM networks in North America.

Everything that the OP talked about involves the CDMA side and using the device in North America. Posting misleading information is disingenuous.
    12-02-10 10:20 AM
    All I said is "you can unlock a cdma phone" that is not misleading at all. I think it's pretty cut and dry. You can unlock most cdma blackberry's to work on gsm networks.

There is nothing disingenuous about it.
    12-02-10 05:45 PM
    All I said is "you can unlock a cdma phone" that is not misleading at all. I think it's pretty cut and dry. You can unlock most cdma blackberry's to work on gsm networks.

There is nothing disingenuous about it.
    You are not unlocking CDMA. You are unlocking the GSM side. Therefore, your terminology is still incorrect, and Motorcycle Mama's terminology is correct.

Folks in an industry need to use the proper terminology. If a businessperson does not speak the correct language of his or her trade, it ruins his or her credibility.
    12-02-10 05:54 PM
    While your post was to prove a point (that the GSM side of a CDMA world phone can be unlocked), you're responding to a post where the OP is specifically talking about a CDMA issue. Thus the disingenuous comment.

To the OP: CDMA phones can sometime be "flashed" to work on another network. I put the word in quotes because sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. StraightTalk, as a general rule, will not allow phones from other carriers. You can try and flash it and see if they'll accept your ESN, but I highly doubt it will work.

Additionally, StraightTalk has no BIS support, so you'd be giving up a lot of the functionality you probably bought it for in the first place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-10 05:56 PM
    Okay, so I should just purchase one of their smartphones and count my 2 blackberry's as losses right? I do not plan to go back to AT&T or Alltel.
    12-02-10 06:06 PM
    Okay, so I should just purchase one of their smartphones and count my 2 blackberry's as losses right? I do not plan to go back to AT&T or Alltel.
    We cannot tell you which carrier is the best for you. That is a decision that you need to make on your own. However, you could sell your 2 BlackBerry devices if you decide to choose a different carrier on whose network those devices will not work.

The AT&T 8310 can be unlocked and used on T-Mobile.
    12-02-10 06:42 PM
    Sell those devices and purchase one that will work on the network you intend to use.
    12-02-10 07:54 PM
    Absolutely false.
    12-02-10 07:56 PM
    I appreciate all of the responces and info. Thank you all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-10 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD